INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Requirements for stable TV recording ?  (Read 1874 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
PC Requirements for stable TV recording ?
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:22:50 pm »

What is the minimum CPU power and RAM size for a dedicated PC that will just run MC20 and record TV (ATSC from antenna in 1080i and 720p) ?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: PC Requirements for stable TV recording ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:33:23 pm »

It is not possible for me to answer your question as I have not done an extensive testing on different machines.

Maybe other users can tell you what kind of system they have had success with.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:18:40 am »

Just about the minimum PC configuration you can buy off the shelf these days, with a modern hard drive.

As I understand it, recording TV is not very demanding, as long as the tuners are supported.

But playing recorded TV, that is a whole different question.

I suggest you look through the JRMark thread and ask individuals who have posted what their PCs are capable of, if you wish to get an idea of the processing power required.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54396.250 Start at the end and work backwards.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 03:40:17 am »

My Windows / Intel rig is rock solid. Refer my signature. I'll post a benchmark when I can get free access to my PCs.

Note that the way I roll is to have a dedicated TV Record unit and a separate TV Playback unit.

From Playback, I remote in to Record for routine viewing. Rarely watch TV live. Means we can skip ads. For live TV, the protocol is to watch from Playback.

Works for me..  ;)

EDIT:
Benchmarks for the units discussed above.
Record - 2975
Playback - 3634
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

abrise

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 08:55:13 am »

What is the minimum CPU power and RAM size for a dedicated PC that will just run MC20 and record TV (ATSC from antenna in 1080i and 720p) ?
I am still using a 5 Year old Intel atom based 2GB small factor pc without problems for recording and playing TV. So any modern PC atom based will be enough. But for my HTPC I need something more powerfull because of the convolution DSP. I thus use an Intel NUC i5 to be on the safe side. If you intend to limit to what you've said. The smallest intel NUC is enough.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:54:24 pm »

FYI: I think all of these are higher than the minimum.

Right now, I am using an 11 year old laptop with 1.6ghz and 768 mb RAM.  (It still works because it was originally a high end $2500 list price laptop back then.)

I had some problems at first, but they were caused by a bad USB port.

I am using a Hauppauge USB TV tuner which has its own AC power (to offload the aging USB ports of the laptop) and an external drive hosted by my router (which, unlike the laptop, supports using a 3TB drive so that I don't have to monitor the disk space).

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 08:54:15 am »

FWIW, I have no trouble recording TV on an Intel Atom 330 board with 4gb RAM. Certainly not the most powerful rig going around...
Pages: [1]   Go Up