INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Audio Library View Help  (Read 1375 times)

fishtankfish

• Recent member
New Audio Library View Help
« on: June 25, 2015, 01:46:32 pm »

Hello all you expert MC users, I would like to ask for some help in designing a new Library view under Audio.

I would like to create a page that lists albums with the most plays (the sum of all the tracks in that album) in descending order.

I know there is a default smartlist for Top Hits, but I would prefer it to be a Library view and group by album and not list each song.

I could probably figure out how to do this but it would probably take me way too long as I'm kind of a noob.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Audio Library View Help
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:58:49 pm »

Try this.  Create a new view.  I used Categories as the View As type for mine because I like album covers.  Set Show Categories to Album.  Press OK to create the view.  Now go to the top of the view where it says Albums, with a down arrow next to it.  Click the arrow and go to Sort By:  Plays.

That should do it.  I was surprised at what I saw, so I added up the play counts for several albums (adding up each song's play count in each album) and it is definitely sorting by the play count for the sum total of all tracks in each album. 

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:50:35 pm »

You can modify the Category sorting that way (in the View Header) or when you create the View in the Customize View dialog.  When you add (or edit) a Category, you can choose the sorting for each category using any of the sorting presets:

Click to embiggen.

Sorting presets you make yourself might not always work rationally, especially when applied to List-Type Fields used as Categories.  All of the built-in ones do fine though, and most "numeric sorts" work fine, but alphabetical sorts behave... Oddly.

That's not a concern for [Album] though (be wary of [Artist] though if you use multiple artists).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fishtankfish

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:00:19 am »

Thanks for the responses!  Works great, very glad this forum exists.
Pages: [1]   Go Up