INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 20.0.129 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM  (Read 53316 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: JRiver Media Center 20.0.114 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2015, 10:31:51 am »

A few thoughts:

1) You're not trying to use playback from memory are you? If so, turn it off, it's not a good idea on the Pi

2) I notice that your Pi's toolbar has several hardware monitoring widgets not enabled on a default NOOBS install.  I mention them because another user (with a regular computer, not a pi) recently had intermittent dropouts that were actually caused by system monitoring graph software: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97571.msg676633#msg676633.  Generally speaking, when troubleshooting it's a good idea to disable anything extraneous that you can.  

3) Have you tried playing with the buffering settings in options-->audio?

On the memory issue I haven't been able to get MC to eat up more than about 350 MB of RAM. Any particular steps you have to take to make that happen?  I have a few pis running 24/7 and have seen no such memory increases. If you can reproduce the 600MB usage, could you post the output of the command "free -h" in a terminal?

In the meanwhile you could just setup a cronjob to restart JRiver every night, but that's suboptimal.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2015, 03:10:31 am »

Hello Again,
I still have this problem - occasional pauses in playback, I've now realized there are also occasional 'pops' - which are disturbing because I'm going direct to power-amp - using JRiver to substantially attenuate the volume but a full volume 'pop' can probably ruin my speakers...

I set the CPU governor to performance mode and closed every other utility or program running on my pi... I also tried playing with the pre-buffering settings in JRiver - but 'no cigar'.

Any ideas are welcome,
Thank you

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2015, 06:57:47 am »

Any ideas are welcome,
Thank you

Some other thought's:

Set the output format (just above the Buffer time setting) to 24 bit, the digi + isn't capable of more anyway. (The linux guy’s say more is better and adding zero’s don’t matter, I disagree)

If you use vnc connection a lot you could try it without the spectrum analyzer to keep network traffic down (left click on it) not sure of this has a big impact.

(btw tested the digi+ with the initial release of MC a had no problems at all. Hooked it up to a naim naid of a friend , if there where click's we should have heard them)

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2015, 02:59:38 am »

Thanks Guys,
I've tried everything and I still have these pauses and clicks... I think I'm really risking my speakers.

Not sure what to do other than reinstall everything from scratch?

Your ideas are welcome - thanks!

BTW
After about 14 hours of playing non stop, my JRiver is now using 453Mb of memory,
Here is the 'free -h' output bellow:

Code: [Select]
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ free -h
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          927M       792M       134M         0B        57M       216M
-/+ buffers/cache:       518M       408M

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2015, 07:26:58 am »

Do the clicks or pauses occur during song playback or between songs?  If between songs, do they happen only or more often when changing sample rate (i.e. switching from a  redbook track to a 24/96 track)? 

Are you streaming the files over a network or playing from an external harddrive?  IF so, just to test, try putting a file or two on the sd card and see if you get the same problems. 

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2015, 12:28:16 pm »

Do the clicks or pauses occur during song playback or between songs?  If between songs, do they happen only or more often when changing sample rate (i.e. switching from a  redbook track to a 24/96 track)? 

Are you streaming the files over a network or playing from an external harddrive?  IF so, just to test, try putting a file or two on the sd card and see if you get the same problems. 

Thanks McWilliams -
The pauses happen during playback, sometime when switching songs (as well as changing sample rates) but often while playback is playing and with no provocation on my part...

I am streaming but I'll try to see if local playback has the same issue.

thank you

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2015, 12:40:51 pm »

Thanks McWilliams -
The pauses happen during playback, sometime when switching songs (as well as changing sample rates) but often while playback is playing and with no provocation on my part...

You mention pauses, but what about the pops/clicks?  The reason I ask is that some DACs give out a loud "pop" or click when changing sample rates.  If you're getting the pops in the middle of songs, that rules out that issue, but if you only get them between tracks or when changing sample rates, it may be a "feature" of your DAC.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2015, 01:34:10 pm »

You mention pauses, but what about the pops/clicks?  The reason I ask is that some DACs give out a loud "pop" or click when changing sample rates.  If you're getting the pops in the middle of songs, that rules out that issue, but if you only get them between tracks or when changing sample rates, it may be a "feature" of your DAC.

it does both (occasionally) so sometimes art the start of songs (with changing sampling rate) and sometime in the middle of playback, often the click comes at the end of a tiny 'pause'.

I use the 'play silence at start up for hardware sync' - set at 2 seconds - but I still get the clicks/pauses - occasionally.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2015, 02:31:50 pm »

I read somewhere that the original audio circuit of the RPI can sometime engage and shutdown and it results in an audible pop sound.

Is there a way for me to shut it down or disable it (as I'm using the optical out of the Digi+?

I'm trying to find solution...

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2015, 04:49:08 am »

Hello,
I think I made some progress, I noticed that most of the pauses/clicks/pops happen immediately after I do something via JRemote on my iPhone 6 - things like spiking a song, or adjusted the volume.

Does this help? Can this have something to do with the way JRemote is implemented in the RPI version? or something with the network?

Any ideas are welcome, the pauses are annoying but the pops are really loud and I'm concerned can damage my speakers...

Thanks!

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2015, 02:08:06 pm »

Is there a way for me to shut it down or disable it (as I'm using the optical out of the Digi+?

I'm trying to find solution...

This is worth a try;

before you do this you have to remove the volume control  item form the task bar:

VNC into the PI and right click on the taskbar > add/remove panel items and remove volume control (alsa).

After removing the on board sound there is (in your configuration) no alsa mixer (volume control) available and i’ve experienced weird behavior in the past.

then in a terminal:

sudo nano /etc/modules

mark-out the onboard sounddriver so it looks like this:

#snd-bcm2835

(ctrl x, y, enter)

reboot your pi, and test

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2015, 03:12:11 pm »

This is worth a try;

before you do this you have to remove the volume control  item form the task bar:

VNC into the PI and right click on the taskbar > add/remove panel items and remove volume control (alsa).

After removing the on board sound there is (in your configuration) no alsa mixer (volume control) available and i’ve experienced weird behavior in the past.

then in a terminal:

sudo nano /etc/modules

mark-out the onboard sounddriver so it looks like this:

#snd-bcm2835

(ctrl x, y, enter)

reboot your pi, and test

Thanks Mate,
Much appreciated!

I did it, let's see how it works.

Thank you again

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »

Hello,
I think I made some progress, I noticed that most of the pauses/clicks/pops happen immediately after I do something via JRemote on my iPhone 6 - things like spiking a song, or adjusted the volume.

Does this help? Can this have something to do with the way JRemote is implemented in the RPI version? or something with the network?

Any ideas are welcome, the pauses are annoying but the pops are really loud and I'm concerned can damage my speakers...

Thanks!
Another thing you could try.
From a terminal window as a user that can access the audio device (or root) run
/usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 20/alsacap
and see what sample formats your device supports. (i.e. S16_LE, S32_LE, etc).
In Mediacenter's audio options look at the Device Settings and change the output format from Auto to one of the fixed formats.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2015, 02:59:22 am »

Another thing you could try.
From a terminal window as a user that can access the audio device (or root) run
/usr/lib/jriver/Media\ Center\ 20/alsacap
and see what sample formats your device supports. (i.e. S16_LE, S32_LE, etc).
In Mediacenter's audio options look at the Device Settings and change the output format from Auto to one of the fixed formats.

Thanks Bob,
Can I ask you to write the exact command? I'm quite a Noob, when trying to execute this I get no where...

Thank you!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2015, 10:26:54 am »

Thanks Bob,
Can I ask you to write the exact command? I'm quite a Noob, when trying to execute this I get no where...

Thank you!
Hi, that is the exact command.
If you copy and paste it into a terminal window you should get a response.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2015, 10:38:30 am »

:-[ Thanks mate,
now it works

I got this:

S16_LE, S32_LE

So which setting should I use in JRiver?

Thanks for the help,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2015, 10:44:24 am »

Either should work.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2015, 10:54:00 am »

Either should work.

Thanks mate, where exactly should I set them in JRiver? Also what does LE means?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2015, 10:55:02 am »

In the Audio settings.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2015, 11:00:24 am »

Thanks Jim.

I may have isolated the bloody pops/clicks - it was the wifi dongle - I removed it and got back to good old Ethernet cable and no pops - still a few pauses but very rarely...

To who, it may be useful...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2015, 11:32:52 am »

Thanks Jim.

I may have isolated the bloody pops/clicks - it was the wifi dongle - I removed it and got back to good old Ethernet cable and no pops - still a few pauses but very rarely...

To who, it may be useful...
Wifi requires more processing power (the encryption is done in software).
That combined with the issue someone brought up earlier that all of the interrupts on the pi2 go through the first core probably explains your results.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2015, 01:19:37 pm »

Guys,
I'm sorry to report that I still get these bloody Pops/clicks...

They are very loud and I'm worried for my speaker thought they seem to survive so far.

Switching to wired Ethernet from Wifi helped reduce them a lot but I'm still getting them... I'm running out of ideas...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2015, 03:54:22 pm »

Try another sound device as a test.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2015, 05:15:37 pm »

Try another sound device as a test.

Thank you,
You mean a different DAC?

I also notice often these pops would happen when the player changes to a new song with a different sample rate. I have the option of playing silence when switching formats in JRiver on but it doesn't help the pops. I would hear a pop and then the 'silence' bit.

Not sure if that's a clue or not...?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2015, 05:24:32 pm »

If you're hearing the pops when the sample rate changes it is probably a problem with your DAC.  Some DACs always make pops when changing sample rates, if that's when you hear them it's a hardware issue that JRiver cannot fix (it's a relay switching). 

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2015, 10:40:12 pm »

Although I don't run Linux, I found that using "Gapped Fade" under Audio Options/Track Change reduces pops with my USB DACs, not sure if that option is in the Linux version of MC, worth a try.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2015, 08:43:56 am »

If you're hearing the pops when the sample rate changes it is probably a problem with your DAC.  Some DACs always make pops when changing sample rates, if that's when you hear them it's a hardware issue that JRiver cannot fix (it's a relay switching). 

Thanks Mate,
I know how relay switching sounds (like a physical click inside the DAC) - what I'm talking about is a loud pop sounds form the speakers at full volume...

I'll keep trying to isolate it...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2015, 08:46:29 am »

Thanks Mate,
I know how relay switching sounds (like a physical click inside the DAC) - what I'm talking about is a loud pop sounds form the speakers at full volume...

I'll keep trying to isolate it...

That's what I'm talking about.  The relay switch in many DACs causes a loud pop to come out of the speakers when sample rates switch. 

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2015, 08:56:08 am »

That's what I'm talking about.  The relay switch in many DACs causes a loud pop to come out of the speakers when sample rates switch. 

However in 99 percent of the cases when I'm playing music that changes sample rates it doesn't do a loud pop... And to complicate it further it sometime pops while playing a song so it's not a sample rate change... ;-(

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2015, 11:00:51 am »

However in 99 percent of the cases when I'm playing music that changes sample rates it doesn't do a loud pop... And to complicate it further it sometime pops while playing a song so it's not a sample rate change... ;-(
You didn't say if you tried the fixed format output instead of Auto.

The other difference between MC and other programs is that it doesn't use the linux resampler. You could set DSP studio to resample everything to a specific rate to see if that changes anything.

Also, set the track transition to gapless and turn off the eliminate silence switch.

Other that that, I'm not sure where else we can go with this. MC uses a very simple interface to the sound device so it's not likely that changes in MC will affect this, especially since it doesn't seem to be present in other devices.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2015, 11:49:36 am »

You didn't say if you tried the fixed format output instead of Auto.

The other difference between MC and other programs is that it doesn't use the linux resampler. You could set DSP studio to resample everything to a specific rate to see if that changes anything.

Also, set the track transition to gapless and turn off the eliminate silence switch.

Other that that, I'm not sure where else we can go with this. MC uses a very simple interface to the sound device so it's not likely that changes in MC will affect this, especially since it doesn't seem to be present in other devices.

Thanks Mate,
I'll try these suggestions.

To be honest I suspect this is more of a Raspberry Pi issue rather than MC - you've all been very helpful and kind - thank you!

Hilton

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2015, 07:18:58 pm »

I've upgraded the Pi to the new branch Linux raspberrypi 4.0.5-v7+ #797.
All working great.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2015, 07:47:01 pm »

I've upgraded the Pi to the new branch Linux raspberrypi 4.0.5-v7+ #797.
All working great.

Thanks mate,
Sounds promising.

Can I ask you for the command(s) to use?

Hilton

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2015, 07:59:10 pm »

There's a lot of new drivers and some drivers haven't been brought across yet that were in the old branch on version 3 kernel.

Unless you know what you're doing, experiencing problems or are prepared to rebuild from scratch I'd stay on that current 3 branch for now.  It should be fine but its still very new and there maybe undetected regressions(problems).

To upgrade to the latest stable use sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get upgrade
This will upgrade all installed software to the latest stable release and is less likely to have problems than changing to the latest branch.

If you really want to temp fate you can run sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get install rpi-update
This will install a firmware/kernel update tool which can be used to get onto the latest branch. It can break things, so do so in the full knowledge you may have to rebuild your Pi from scratch.

Finally... if your really really sure..  the command to upgrade to the latest branch is sudo rpi-update

You have been warned! :)

Hilton

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2015, 08:09:21 pm »

When successful you should get this output.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo rpi-update
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
 *** Performing self-update
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 10185  100 10185    0     0  29302      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 32333
 *** Relaunching after update
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
#############################################################
WARNING: This update bumps to rpi-4.0.y linux tree
Be aware there could be compatibility issues with some drivers
Discussion here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=113753
##############################################################
Would you like to proceed? (y/N)
 *** Downloading specific firmware revision (this will take a few minutes)
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   168    0   168    0     0    111      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--   139
100 46.7M  100 46.7M    0     0  37123      0  0:22:00  0:22:00 --:--:--  203k
 *** Updating firmware
 *** Updating kernel modules
 *** depmod 4.0.6+
 *** depmod 4.0.6-v7+
 *** Updating VideoCore libraries
 *** Using HardFP libraries
 *** Updating SDK
 *** Running ldconfig
 *** Storing current firmware revision
 *** Deleting downloaded files
 *** Syncing changes to disk
 *** If no errors appeared, your firmware was successfully updated to a51e2e072f2c349b40887dbdb8029f9a78c01987
 *** A reboot is needed to activate the new firmware

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2015, 12:07:32 pm »

Thanks mate,
It all worked out well ;-)

bob

• Administrator
Re: JRiver Media Center 20.0.123 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2015, 10:24:02 am »

20.0.123 released and in apt repo.
See the top message of this topic.

conib

• Recent member
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2015, 03:39:28 pm »

This build requires a linux or master license.
It does not have a permanent timeout.

(I apologize in advance for this noob question:)
Does you mean that there's no 30-day trial on the ARM version?

I'd like to try this software out on the Beaglebone Black, and it would be good to know whether I'd be wasting my time if I haven't yet purchased a license.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2015, 12:09:10 am »

There is a 30 day trial for the ARM version.

Hilton

« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2015, 09:28:17 pm »

20.0.123 released and in apt repo.
See the top message of this topic.

All good here on Linux raspberrypi 4.0.6-v7+

:)

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2015, 11:08:29 am »

Hello,
There seems to be a small bug in the latest version:

Do you know the button on the right of 'repeat' and random' that if clicked shows the audio path? That no longer works in the latest version - it worked fine before.

This is annoying as I'm using the RPI as renderer via DLNA and can't confirm it doesn't change the volume or anything like that without this audio path view...

Thank you

mrpro

• Recent member
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2015, 11:40:56 am »

I have added a HDMI touchscreen to my Raspberry Pi 2. It can only use a display setting of 800 x 600. I can't seem to reset the JRiver display to a usable size. It goes off screen and has a tendency to slide upward with parts of the display off screen.

Is there a setting or a text file I can edit to reset the size or otherwise make it re size for the 800 x 600 desktop to be usable?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2015, 01:07:55 pm »

I have added a HDMI touchscreen to my Raspberry Pi 2. It can only use a display setting of 800 x 600. I can't seem to reset the JRiver display to a usable size. It goes off screen and has a tendency to slide upward with parts of the display off screen.

Is there a setting or a text file I can edit to reset the size or otherwise make it re size for the 800 x 600 desktop to be usable?

I don't know of a convenient text configuration file you could edit, but if you hold down -alt- while attempting to move or resize the window using a mouse it will behave better (you'll need to hook up a keyboard and mouse, obviously).   

If that doesn't work, JRiver also remembers what size it was last time it opened, so you could temporarily connect to a regular monitor, change the size down, then switch back to the touchscreen.

Honestly, if I were you, I would strongly consider using webgizmo in a lightweight browser for touchscreen control rather than the normal UI: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WebGizmo

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2015, 07:00:44 am »

Hello,
There seems to be a small bug in the latest version:

Do you know the button on the right of 'repeat' and random' that if clicked shows the audio path? That no longer works in the latest version - it worked fine before.

This is annoying as I'm using the RPI as renderer via DLNA and can't confirm it doesn't change the volume or anything like that without this audio path view...

Thank you

Did anyone see this bug? The current build doesn't show the audio path... Please fix this?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2015, 08:00:06 am »

It's already fixed in the main build: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98698.0

ARM builds just lag a little bit.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2015, 10:25:01 am »

It's already fixed in the main build: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98698.0

ARM builds just lag a little bit.

Great,
Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
Re: JRiver Media Center 20.0.129 for Debian (Wheezy) ARM
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2015, 09:29:18 am »

The DSP studio hover issue is fixed in this latest build.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up