INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatre view search  (Read 2752 times)

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
Theatre view search
« on: November 14, 2006, 09:30:57 am »

Hello,
I am new to MC (By the way a big thank you to Mastiff for mentioning the software in the Girder forum.  I wouldn’t have found the product without that reference.) and so far it has been a super product.  There is one thing that I can’t seem to get accomplished.  I use the software 95% of the time for listening to music and often I am sitting on the couch using Theatre view to search\play\mix the music.  I would like to search in Theatre view in the same fashion I can search in the normal tree view, by typing the first couple of characters of an artist name and be taken to the artist in Theatre view. Choosing the artist name then shows his\her albums and allows me to play the albums. The search function in Theatre view makes no sense to me.  It seems to continue to drill down and then show me track or file names not album or artists. If I drill down several times and then choose Play (Say for "ea") from the list it seems to put all of my collection in the Now Playing even though I have drilled down multiple times. Am I doing something wrong?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theatre view search
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:57:33 pm »

No, you are not doing anything wrong.  It has never made much sense to me either.  It is more like doing a (painfully slow version of) search by typing characters in the main search box in the standard interface.  Like you I would like to just jump to an item that starts with a character but it has been this way for a long time and has been pretty useless for me.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 06:54:04 am »

cncb,
Thanks for the response - that tells me I can stop spending time trying to determine what I was doing wrong.  I agree with you that it makes the view useless if you intend to listen to music. Trying to find artist\albums is a painfull process.  It's a shame really, this is the view that caught my interest in the first place.  It would seem like an easy thing to implement and would add a great deal of usability.

Thanks again.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 08:32:05 am »

nedam,

You can make this a little better by setting up your view schemes to group by letter.  For example, edit the "Artist/Album" view scheme and add "Album Artist (auto)" at the top in step 1.  Click the "Grouping" option and select the size of the grouping.  Then, artists will be grouped by "A-C", "D-F", etc. in TheaterView which may make it a little more managable (although won't improve the "search" feature in TheaterView).
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 10:08:26 am »

In addition to the "grouping" mentioned above, browsing your library via Genre also breaks down the complexity quite a bit.  I have a lot of different view schemes defined that enable me to find what I want quickly and painlessly in Theater View.  Probably the best one for Theater View is:

Genre/Artist (Grouped)/Artist/Album

I agree though, typing alphabetic characters should search the same way Standard View does.  I'd recommend you propose this as a suggestion in the MC12 board...  I'd certainly "vote" for it!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:37:21 pm »

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.  I will give this a try tonight and go to the MC12 section right now and post the request.

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 06:50:14 pm »

Guys your suggestions really helps (Of course still not as nice as a simple text search.) thanks very much.

Pages: [1]   Go Up