INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC20 be a client of a TV server and also record TV ?  (Read 5760 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Can MC20 be a client of a TV server and also record TV ?
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:01:16 pm »

If I have:

* A PC that has MC20 and TV tuners that I setup to be a Server of Television

and

* Another PC that has MC20 and a TV tuner that I setup to be a Client of the Television Server

can the second PC also record using its own TV tuner ?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can MC20 be a client of a TV server and also record TV ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 08:28:04 pm »

The problem I see is how would JR determine if you wanted to watch via the server (i.e as client) or via the local tuner. My thoughts are it can probably be done, but you'd need to create a separate, local, library, with the local tuner and guide data set up to be able to do so, then switch between libraries depending on your desired outcome.

Is it a pain to simply install the 2nd tuner in the server machine? Or did you want / need recorded programs stored locally?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 08:46:22 pm »

The answer is no.  Recording is disabled on clients.  The client gets a copy of the server library, including TV recording stuff.  If a client tries to record, it will duplicate server's recording.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:25:28 am »

Yaobing, can you please clarify this? If I connect to a library as a client, I can only stream TV from the library server. That I get. Can you please explain why, if I disconnect from the server library and run MC as a standalone instance instead (from the local library), I can't then set up a local tuner and watch TV and record locally (without being able to stream from the server simultaneously, of course).

Conceivably I should be able to

- Run JRiver as standalone, schedule a recording in the local library, to record to local HDD.

- Swap to server library as a client and stream TV from server.

Question is, does the MC server component recognise both libraries on the local machine (the active one (remote server) and the inactive, local one) Or just the active one?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 06:06:38 am »

You can record on a standalone unit.  All I said was you can not record on a client.  When a computer is not connected to a server, it is not a client.

On a client (connected to a server), you can use a local tuner to watch live TV, but you can not record a show using the local tuner.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:56:01 am »

Great, that clears up my q. Thanks :-)

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 12:43:59 pm »

So in imugli's scenario, if you happen to still be connected to the Server when the Client PC should be recording a program on its own tuner, it will not record.  Is that correct?

If so, that makes imugli's scenario too cumbersome, because the human needs to constantly be aware of when the Client PC's tuner is scheduled to record some show.  This is contrary to the whole point of setting up a PC to automate the process.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:36:11 pm »

So in imugli's scenario, if you happen to still be connected to the Server when the Client PC should be recording a program on its own tuner, it will not record.  Is that correct?

If so, that makes imugli's scenario too cumbersome, because the human needs to constantly be aware of when the Client PC's tuner is scheduled to record some show.  This is contrary to the whole point of setting up a PC to automate the process.

That is correct.  When a client is connected, it uses a copy of the server library.  The local recording is in the local library.  Therefore the client, when connected to server, does not even know there is any local recording.

I have given this subject quite some consideration.  It will be quite difficult to implement something that will make use of the local tuner on a client.  So it will not happen any time soon.  Sometime down the road, maybe.

Question is, does the MC server component recognise both libraries on the local machine (the active one (remote server) and the inactive, local one) Or just the active one?

Only one library is recognized at any given time.  Switching library requires human interaction.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 07:06:15 pm »

Yep, understand that. My point went to the following scenario...

Using the HTPC as a standalone machine, I set up my tuner, guide etc. and schedule a recording.

I then swap libraries and connect to the server as a client.

Will MC still recognise the scheduled recording in the local library and record on the local machine?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:58:22 am »

Using the HTPC as a standalone machine, I set up my tuner, guide etc. and schedule a recording.

Will MC still recognise the scheduled recording in the local library and record on the local machine?

As soon as a computer connects to a server, it "forgets" its own local library.  Locally scheduled recordings will not be recorded as long as the computer is connected to the server.  You have to switch back to the local library for those recordings to take place.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 07:44:41 am »

Makes sense. When I switch back from accessing the server to the local library, I typically get (if it has been an extended session) an EPG update process initiating pretty soon after.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 12:43:10 am »

If you really want to do this, and your client PC is powerful enough, try this setup:

On your client PC, under Options -> General -> Advanced check the item "Allow multiple instance to run at one time"

Now have one instance run your local library, and the other instance connect to the server and run as a client. Test local recordings while playing TV from the server, one some other activity.

Did it work? It may not, and there would be only one MC Service running on your client PC. But it may work. After all, each instance of MC is running on a separate library.

What do you think Yaobing, should that work?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 04:27:00 pm »

I think it might work.  However, any time you enable "multiple instance" feature, you are treading more or less in uncharted water.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 03:22:38 pm »

Has there been any update on this or How-to's? Is it doable with MC21?

I too would need on the same machine a local and client-server setup...One to record and use capture cards with OTA only (Local and CLient MAchine) and the other to access STB on my main HTPC machine (server).

Thx

Multiple instances of MC would seem to make sense but does it work?  I guess a workaround could be to use MC21 locally and MC20 as a client on the same machine...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 03:44:45 pm »

Multiple instances of MC would seem to make sense but does it work?  I guess a workaround could be to use MC21 locally and MC20 as a client on the same machine...

This will not work.  Each time MC20 or MC21 runs, it needs to register with the system for certain resources, in particular some DirectShow filters MC uses.  You can run MC20 and MC21 on the same machine, but you can not run them simultaneously.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 08:59:58 am »

I'm reviving this as I'm planning to migrate from Sage to MC21 BUT (ther's always a But it seems :)...)  I need the ability for 2 out of my 3 PCs to act as both local stand alone machines and clients to connect to my main HTPC rig (Ideally the HTPC could also run as a client adn get shows on the other 2 as well but not essential..)

I haven't tested this but Roderick says multiple instances might work Yaobbing seems to say no.  Before I start testing this tonight has there been any kind of updates on this?  Anybody tried it yet?

Thx

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 10:25:43 am »

What I said was:

I think it might work.  However, any time you enable "multiple instance" feature, you are treading more or less in uncharted water.

This will not work.  Each time MC20 or MC21 runs, it needs to register with the system for certain resources, in particular some DirectShow filters MC uses.  You can run MC20 and MC21 on the same machine, but you can not run them simultaneously.

I was a little sloppy in the above statement.  "This" in the quote refers to using MC20 and MC21 simultaneously, not using multiple instances of MC21.  Using multiple instances of MC21 might work - but I am not sure what the second instance will do - for example, if the first instance is running as a client, will the second instance also try to run as a client.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 03:09:51 pm »

I'll test it out and report back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up