INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Docker mode for library maintaining? (Unraid)  (Read 3961 times)

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
Docker mode for library maintaining? (Unraid)
« on: January 16, 2015, 01:13:13 pm »

Hi -

I have been quite intrigued with XBMC running headless in server mode which resides on a server and maintains the library and a client can pull in the database from that.

I am having issues with JRiver identifying new media as soon as it is added to the library and I have the HTPC session running all the time. Are there plans to have a dockerized version of JRiver? I have a Windows 8.1 KVM that runs on Unraid (Slackware based NAS) which serves as a dedicated HTPC running JRiver. I would love to have a docker version of JRiver running on the native OS where all my data reside and the HTPC JRiver can behave as a client. Is this in works or planned in near future?
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Docker mode for library maintaining? (Unraid)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:15:55 pm »

MC does client / server.  Please see the wiki topic called "Media Network", then read about Library Server.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 01:19:59 pm »

Jim - Yes, I am familiar with the server option. This however requires another Windows (or Mac) based computer to be running, isn't it? What I am referring to is a server alone MC option that can run completely isolated in a docker environment (in my case Unraid based on Slackware OS). Is there a dockerized version of JRiver available? I am pleasantly surprised with the possibilities docker is bringing to the table and all the applications it is able to support that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

MC does client / server.  Please see the wiki topic called "Media Network", then read about Library Server.
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 01:42:44 pm »

What is a docker?

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 01:58:48 pm »

Jim - See here: https://www.docker.com/whatisdocker/

I have few dockerized versions of popeular apps like Plex that run my Unraid server and they work quite well. This seems to be the new rage among many NAS users ... I also think this will make JRiver MC a good choice for server builders. Here is a link to Unraid discussion forum for Dockers: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?board=56.0

What is a docker?
--

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 02:04:14 pm »

It's not something we'd do any time soon.  Sorry.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 04:41:47 pm »

I was just looking into this.  I believe if MC can run on slackware, then there shouldn't be anything JRiver needs to do, "we" (the collective "we" as in the community) should be able to create a MC docker container.  I believe that's how most of the existing unRAID docker containers have been made.  I doubt Code42 made a Crashplan docker container for example.  I see a thread asking if MC runs on Slackware but it's not clear if it actually doesn't, or if no one has tried.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 04:52:43 am »

A docker library server would be great.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 05:48:25 am »

I took a quick look at Slacker.  It's an early distribution of Linux.  You could propose something on our Linux board, but we aren't able to add more distros at this time.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 08:24:39 am »

I'm kind of baffled about what exactly docker brings to the table for OP.  MC has a native Linux build that folks have running on most major linux distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, CentOS, Suse, Arch, etc.), and a build that will run on ARM processors. So there's a strong chance you could just run MC on your slackware NAS no docker required if you worked on it.

If for some reason you can't get it running on slackware, you're already virtualizing windows, so virtualizing another linux distribution is trivial.  Virtualize something minimal like a debian install with no tasks selected or Arch, and you can run the MC server there with very low overhead.

MC works great on linux, no docker required.  Is the idea that docker would provide compatibility with proprietary NAS boxes?  That would make sense, but OP is already administrating his own system and virtualizing windows, so that's clearly not his use case (or is it?).
Pages: [1]   Go Up