INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help me learn how to use JRiver organizing...  (Read 1300 times)

sungjoon

Please help me learn how to use JRiver organizing...
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:22:16 pm »

I recently switched over to jriver audio from foobar and while I really enjoy it, there are some things that I am really having some trouble with.
In foobar, I was able to create "playlists" and just put songs in them and I was able to rearrange the order in which they were organized at will.
In JRiver media, when I try to do this on playlists, it does not comply. I am trying to use group playlist>playlist so that I can use the pane configuration.
Then I tried to just upload my songs (organized by album) but I want the albums from earlier years first followed by the ones from later years. But
whenever I try to "drag" an album to re-position it below an older album, it doesn't do it. Basically, if anyone has any guides that can help me
just learn all the organization functions of jriver media player that would be amazing. Also, I would like to somehow set it so that when I import a
folder into jriver media, it just ignores all the jpeg as I am really annoyed with deleting the images all the time.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Please help me learn how to use JRiver organizing...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:50:40 pm »

You've got a good number of questions here, some easy, and some not so easy.  Let me try to list your questions and answer a little bit here.

1.  How to organize songs, albums, etc in JRiver.  An overview.
2.  Playlists versus views.
3.  Ignore images on Import.

I'll take the easy one first:  #3

To ignore images when you import look at the import dialog box.  Below the area where you tell it the directory name, you should see a box with "file types to import".  There are categories.  You can uncheck the one titled "Image" and that will ignore all types of image files.  You can drill down further in any category.  For example, you could set "Audio" to import .FLAC, and .MP3, but ignore .WAV, and .APE .  That's just a made up example but I'm sure you get the general idea.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:59:28 pm »

2.  Playlists versus views:

JRiver has regular play lists.  You can find them in the left side Navigation Pane.  Right click to add a new play list.  Then you can add songs or even whole albums to your play list.  You can drag them around at will to put them in the order you want.  Playlists should work very similarly to other programs.  They are just lists of songs that are already in YOUR LIBRARY.

When you use other navigation methods like Audio > Albums (for example), you're no longer looking at a playlist.  Instead you're looking at a View of your music that's organized according to the View.  These are all configurable so they will sort how you want them to.  But you CAN NOT drag them around in these views, as that would break the sorting.  For arbitrary ordering, you want play lists.  For real organization by Album, Artist, Year, Genre, etc, you use Views.

The default Audio > Artists view lets you view by Artist.  Then when you click on an artist, it will show you all the Albums by that artist and the Albums will be ordered (sorted) by Year by default, which is what you seem to want.  :)

I should have started by saying that all of this View stuff assumes that your music has been tagged with the correct Album, Artist, song Name, Year, etc.  That's what makes all of the Views work:  metadata.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:04:24 pm »

In my last post I gave you *some* information about JRiver organization, but there's tons more to learn if you want to.  I'd encourage you to explore all of the included Views in the left Navigation Pane under Audio.  See if any of those do what you want.  You should be able to get pretty close unless you want something very specific.

There are tutorials around on how to make your own Views, but I'm going to wait until you ask for more information before going to find the ones I know are out there.  (only because I don't have them bookmarked and I'd have to go search to find them.)

It might be helpful for you to write out what kind of organization you are trying to do and someone can probably give you some direction on how to get there.

But the big concept is that JRiver is driven by metadata.  It can be shown to you in almost any way based on that data.  That can include Artist, Album, Year, etc, but also things that might not be obvious:  Like you can tell it to sort based on the number of channels, so you can separate 2 channel (stereo) music from multi-channel surround sound music (5.1).  It's a very powerful concept in a very powerful program.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up