INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI output requires restart on Pioneer SC-87 when switching inputs  (Read 1562 times)

hillcreative

• World Citizen

My Pioneer SC-87 requires a stop and restart of MC when switching between inputs on the receiver. When MC plays and I leave that HDMI input on the receiver and return to it MC cannot be heard until a stop and restart. SC-87 shows up as output (WASAPI) and I have exclusive set.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

Are you restarting MC or just the song? A restart of MC shouldn't be necessary. I don't believe you can switch inputs on the receiver without having to stop and restart Playing Now in MC. You are "breaking" the connection as if you had physically removed the HDMI cable.

There are a couple things you can try. Are you using HDMI 1 input on the Pioneer? If so, try a different input. You also might need to set the "control with HDMI" function to off. See page 77 of the manual.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I can't say for sure, it this even should be supported. But it is worth mentioning that unfortunately, at least some of the modern Pioneer AVRs seem to have serious HDMI audio issues, in particular when connected to an Intel GPU. Here's a recent thread where we went through everything before someone chimed in with advice specific to the Pioneer:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95705.msg661582#msg661582

There are other similar posts, with a variety of software, over on AVSForum and other places.

If you're using Intel onboard HDMI, you might be somewhat stuck, unless you can get a firmware fix from Pioneer.  It does seem, from most of what I've read, that switching to even a low-end discreet GPU might solve it for you, though. So, you could look at a cheap low-end NVIDIA card or something.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Are you restarting MC or just the song? A restart of MC shouldn't be necessary. I don't believe you can switch inputs on the receiver without having to stop and restart Playing Now in MC. You are "breaking" the connection as if you had physically removed the HDMI cable.

This is true, and we need the answer to this.

Do you mean you need to quit out of MC entirely?  If so, do you mean MC was actively playing to the receiver (or paused, which is the same as far as MC is concerned) when you do the switch? If that's what you meant, you probably can't do that, unless your receiver is specifically set up to allow this. Or is it stopped when this happens, and you need to restart MC?

Or, do you just mean the song ends?

I can't tell from the original question.

hillcreative

• World Citizen

Yes the SC-87 disconnects and it requires a restart of the song *not* MC.
MC continuously plays between source selection on the Pioneer.
BTW using the Foxxconn NanoPC i7 as host. Works a treat. Not sure what they use to drive the HDMI out.
It would be cool if MC could reconnect to the HDMI when it "senses" it active again.
My workaround seems to be select the optical INPUT on the SC-87 and associate the audio with that HDMI input.

Great board! Very active with good advice.

Cheers

Hendrik

• Administrator

Unfortunately, that probably is expected behavior, even if undesirable. HDMI is annoying like that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Yeah. What you need then is a "smart switch" that can emulate a HDMI sink so that your computer never actually sees the audio device disconnect.  My Crestron Digital Media switches I have at work can do stuff like this, but I doubt you'll be willing to (pay to) go that route.

Something like a HDFury put inline between the computer and the Pioneer might be able to do it, though I don't have a lot of experience on that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up