INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate song titles  (Read 3148 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Duplicate song titles
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:28:18 am »

At the advice of Western Digital (WDMyCloud EX2) I set up up a second "share" so that I have TWO, one labeled "y:" and one labeled "z:"  But apparently when the MC did a manual import the effect was that it duplicated every song cut in each of the albums.    Two questions:

Should I use only ONE file in WDMyCloud EX2" labeled "z:" ?  I currently rip on one laptop in DBPA and use JRiver MC in my other "renderer" PC.?

Is there any easy way to eliminate all the duplicate song cuts?

thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Duplicate song titles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:52:19 am »

Couldn't you just search for y: and erase the matches?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:58:12 am »

Forgive my lack of knowledge -- What would I do exactly to erase the dupes?

thx

wayne

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:00:52 am »

Search for y: and then select the tracks and delete.  Be careful.  Back up your library first.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:15:45 pm »

Jim,

when you say "search for "Y" where do you mean?  Then when you find "Y" do you delete all of Y and do another manual import to retrieve only the entries in "Z"?

Also, I have never had to back up my main library.  Do you do that using File - Library - Back-up Library?  And if so where does the software store the back-up?  Will I see a copy of it on the tree on the left side of the screen.  I obviously don't want to make a major mistake.

Thanks!

wayne

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 01:27:07 pm »

Y: (the drive), not Y

In the search window.

If you're willing to start over, you can clear your library (File > Library > Library Manager), then set your Import options, then import.  See "Getting Started" in my signature.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 02:17:47 pm »

I think I got it.  Went to the File box and systematically deleting all the "Y" files.  Started with 1-2 albums .  Thanks.

SO for the future, would you advise keeping both my ripping and MC files all on ONE PC (with a disc drive) and ripping and transferring all CD's and HiRes music files on it, rather than splitting the tasks up onto two pc's?

wayne

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 03:07:38 pm »

Jim,

Now, when I go back to play the songs originally transferred in "z:" I get a message that says "There is a problem with Playback.  Make sure the title is the same one on the cd label" (or words to that effect).

I did make a copy of the entire library before making any changes.

wayne

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 04:26:05 pm »

In Explorer, try to find the files.  What drive are they on?

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 12:54:01 pm »

Jim,

Not 100% sure what you mean my by in Explorer.  But I have been storing and updating to a WDMYCLOUD EX2 NAS drive.  Before I tried to make changes to "y:" I also believe I made a back up copy of the library to FILE -- Library --  Back-up Library.  As I have been ripping via dbpoweramp, each of the cd's initially is ripped to My Music File.
I also noticed that on the tree on the left under "Files" almost all of the remaining song selections (I believe all labeled "z:" have a RED circle with a horizontal white minus sign inside the circle on the far left margin. This is the same list I used to delete all of the song selections labeled "y:"

What should I try next?

thx wayne

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:23 pm »

Are you running Windows?

Explorer is the file manager in Windows.  Use it to see what is on drives Y: and Z:

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 04:23:07 pm »

I'm not sure if I am answering your questions totally, but what I am seeing under the list of Internet Explorer is:

(//WDMYCLOUD EX2) (Z:).  There is no Y: drive listed.  What do you think?

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 04:43:15 pm »

... I also just noticed that on my laptop (where I do my ripping) it looks like a have a have a complete copy of the library, with some albums showing one song for each selection -- some showing duplicates.  But where there are duplicates, it looks like the first one plays -- when  I click on the second (duplicate) I get the window I described previously...  "There is something wrong with Playback. check to see if the song title is the same as on the cd label."

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 12:12:31 am »

under the list of Internet Explorer is:

Internet Explorer is not Windows Explorer.  They are as different programs, despite the similar names.

Windows Explorer, which Jim was referring to, is the file browser on your computer that you get when you open up "My Computer".  Not your Web Browser.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 07:40:12 am »

Thanks Glynor,

When I click on "Computer" in Windows 7, I get a tree of choices in the left margin.  When I click on "Computer" there I get four choices, one of which is the file (apparently up-to-date) I have named Music and mapped to "Z:"  When I click on that file I get a list identical to the music type I have arbitrarily set up.  When I click on one category, I get all the artists present in that category.  When I click on an artist, I get all of the albums for that artist I ripped.  BUT when I click on an album I get three files, one of which is labeled with the name of the album.  AND .. when I click on that, instead of getting all the song selections,  I get an oversized (LARGE TYPE) window that is labeled DBPoweramp Digital Audio Extraction Log (and a date).

When I FIRST click on Computer, on the right, (among other things) I get the same name of that "Z:" file  under "Network".  And when I start clicking through it I get the same results as above.

Can you help please?

THX

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 07:51:01 am »

Glynor,

I meant to mention that what I described above is what is now showing on my laptop -- which I have used to ripped all albums thus far.

My NAS device, a WDMYCLOUD EX2, currently connected to my "playback" PC Windows 7 machine.  When I checked Computer on that machine (with the NAS connected) it showed BOTH the "Y" and "Z" files but I got the same results as described above.

wayne

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 09:15:59 am »

If you're seeing the same files on both Y: and Z: when you use Explorer, you should try to fix that problem first.  MC won't work correctly until that is fixed.

Read about Mapped Drives by doing an Internet search.

You can probably right click on the drive you want to remove and un-assign it.

After you've done that, clear your library (as I suggested above), set up auto-import options, and let MC re-import your files.

The "Getting Started" link in my signature is worth reading.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 12:26:27 pm »

Jim

ThANKS FOR THE HELP.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 12:33:12 pm »

I did manage to restore a previous version of the library that has only ONE version of each song, but once again, when I click on each song, I get a data window -- instead of the song actually playing.  I if have ripped all my albums via dbpoweramp to a NAS, am I assured that all of the music and metadata on that NAS drive will remain intact if I strip out my current library and re-import everything.  Obviously, I don't want to make a 60-70-hours error!

thx

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 12:35:10 pm »

Clearing your library won't remove any media files.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 07:41:21 am »

I cleared the library several times and tried to import my files from my NAS drive -- and get only 28 files (when I am certain I have approx. 1500.  On my playback PC when I click on the original name of the file, under Network I get the result described above until I get to the name of each album.  Then when I click on the name I get a data file window that looks like it's a report from DB Poweramp.  When I go back to my original Music files that were ripped from CD, all the songs appear in the correct order in each of the files.

Is there a way to start virtually from scratch and import all the files from my Music file?  JRiver seems to be resisting that!

Any chance of getting one of your staff or forum member to remote-look at my machine?  My gut tells me I am doing something basic incorrectly.

thx

wayne

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 08:03:58 am »

Maybe another clue ...

When I tried re-installing a version of the library from 5-18-15, ALL the albums came back with ALL of the songs in functional order but in the album and Artists views, only perhaps 5 or 50 showed their correct album covers; the rest just simply show a large blue  musical note on a white "album cover" art.

I am willing to pay for some tutoring on this, if necessary, to finally get things functional.  Thank you for all your help

wayne

blgentry

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 09:26:57 am »

Have you tried File > Library > Clear Library ?  That should truly empty it out and remove all references to all files, allowing you to start again.

Brian.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 10:58:48 am »

Brian

I had tried that.  IT did seem to clear the library, but when I tried to re-import everything on my NAS drive (1500-some files) it just imported 26!  Any other ideas would be appreciated.  How could I find out what is currently on my NAS drive?

thx

wayne

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 11:19:51 am »

How could I find out what is currently on my NAS drive?

It should be visible in Windows Explorer

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 11:39:47 am »

Try an Internet search to see if you can find a tutorial at Microsoft on how to use Explorer.  It's a basic tool, and if you learn it, your life (and ours) will be much easier.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 09:38:35 am »

I am now working only in my playback PC, and it has been established that I lost all of the data on my MYCLOUD EX2 NAS.

I have successfully cleared my library and am starting over.  I have a list in "Homegroup" of all the albums and songs I have ripped.  I also have my WD MYCLOUD EX2 NAS attached by wire (as is everything else) to the wifi system  But when I try to drag or copy each album over to the new files in the NAS each takes as long (3-4-5 minutes each) as it did copying through the wifi system.  How can I speed this process up?

Appreciate your help.

wayne

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 10:47:44 am »

So you have all your music on your playback PC, and you are now copying it onto your NAS? I can't help with network speeds, but you will need to tell MC exactly where to look for your files, before it starts importing anything.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 01:41:21 pm »

But when I try to drag or copy each album over to the new files in the NAS each takes as long (3-4-5 minutes each) as it did copying through the wifi system.

Without knowing more about exactly how your network is architected, it is impossible to say.  However, most consumer NAS devices aren't limited substantially by their network interface (wifi vs wired) for writes, but are limited by the disk speed of the storage.

In other words, you can't write faster than the disk inside the thing will let you write, even if you feed it with a bigger pipe.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up