INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not possible to edit views  (Read 4369 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Not possible to edit views
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:49:53 am »

All,

I am continuing to experience issues with my Artist view in MC. This is by selecting the view from the tree and then seeing the details within the main body of MC.

The Artist view I have is stock - I believe. Top of the tree is Artists. First leaf is All Album Artists and then there are single leaves for each artists with their album listed underneath.

See the attachments for what I am using. It's the Artist Album View that will not take any changes.

A few versions back - I was able to change fields that would appear in the right pane at will - and would get the usual message about altering a view and do you want to rename etc etc.

But lately - I need to drop three fields (Artist, Album and File Type) and place the DR value into a column and no matter what I do - these changes last just a single session. As soon as I leave MC and come back in - the fields are back the way they were.

I have made sure the Lock View is not on. I have copied the view to a new view. I have created a new Artist view from scratch using the supplied template and still cannot get the view to display the fields I want - my way. It always reverts back to the way the template originally displays the fields.

I have no idea what to do next - but I do know this worked fine in v19 and I could have swore it did in earlier iterations of v20. But now I am just annoyed.

What am I missing here?

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Not possible to edit views
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 09:21:03 am »

Are you trying to do this from a client copy of MC?

You cannot modify any Views from a client copy of MC (and never could, this is not new).  When you try, they behave exactly as you described: The edits take effect on this Client, but revert to the Server's version as soon as the next full sync occurs (usually when you close and reopen the client).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:02:46 am »

Are you trying to do this from a client copy of MC?

You cannot modify any Views from a client copy of MC (and never could, this is not new).  When you try, they behave exactly as you described: The edits take effect on this Client, but revert to the Server's version as soon as the next full sync occurs (usually when you close and reopen the client).

Yes - I am totally aware of how view work on a standard client - and we do have a standard client/media server layout on other PCs - but not on this one.

But this issue is happening on my edit workstation - which is not a client and has it's own lib. I do hit the same media file store (\\SERVER\Music) as the HTPC does but my views, playlist etc - are unique on this box.

This is why I am getting bit frazzled here :)

VP

Sgucci99

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:52:52 am »

Hi

With the last releases of MC20 it is not possible any more to edit the views.
After  I have edited the Artist view, by changing view and coming back, it reverses to the default view.

Moreover the Artist view that I had edited on the previous releades ov MC 20, now have been modified by this default.

I do the modification directly from the server.
This is really annoying.

Thanks in advance and regards   

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 12:00:46 pm »

There might be a bug. There's another report on this board now too.  I don't think I'm on v70 at home yet, as I've been away, so I'm not sure.

I merged the other thread into this one.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:11:37 pm »

There might be a bug. There's another report on this board now too.  I don't think I'm on v70 at home yet, as I've been away, so I'm not sure.

I merged the other thread into this one.

Cool. My gut feel is that there is definitely something going on here. I was able to do this with ease a while ago.

Also - this has happened to me well before .70. I am thinking like .40 or maybe even before that.

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »

I did some edits to mine last night, and they worked fine.  Though I'm probably running .68 or something like that.  I know there was a pending update, but I ignore it.

So, if it broke, it broke recently.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 02:18:29 pm »

I did some edits to mine last night, and they worked fine.  Though I'm probably running .68 or something like that.  I know there was a pending update, but I ignore it.

So, if it broke, it broke recently.

Would be nice to see what differences lie between my view and any another out there that can have changes "stick" properly.

Would be very willing to supply any data towards this.

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:46:29 pm »

So, I tested a bit tonight.  I'm on 20.0.70 (and already was, though that could have happened after I did my previous changes).

Test 1:

I attempted to make a change to one of my Locked Views.  I opened my Audio > Music > All Music view (which is a Panes style View) and added a new category to the existing set.  When I clicked OK to close the dialog box, it gave me the expected "Locked View" dialog.  I chose Overwrite.  MC then immediately crashed.

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this, even with adding the same category in the same place, and I didn't preserve the Log.  Sorry.

Test 2:

I attempted to edit my Video > TV Shows > Series View (also a Panes style View).  This one is unlocked, and the edit worked as expected.  I quit completely out of MC and restarted it, and the changes were preserved.

Test 3:

I attempted to recreate the crash from Test 1 a few times, but it won't crash anymore.  Changes work properly with choosing Overwrite and then are preserved when I quit and restart MC.

Test 4:

I modified my Video > TV Shows > Covers view to add a new category.  This one, unlike the others tested, is a Categories style View.  It also worked properly.

So, aside from that oddball crash (which does indicate there might be something finicky in there) it doesn't seem to be happening for me.  Can you describe in more detail what kinds of changes aren't being preserved?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:33:46 pm »

So, aside from that oddball crash (which does indicate there might be something finicky in there) it doesn't seem to be happening for me.  Can you describe in more detail what kinds of changes aren't being preserved?

Glynor

As promised (after some morning coffee!) details on what's going on here. Let's look at my Artist View first. (See attachment 1 - My Artist View)

This is what I see on my tree for Artists. To my knowledge - it's the stock view with it's standard tree elements.

Now if I expand the view and click on either the Artist leaf OR any of the albums under the Artist leaf - I see the panel shown in the attachment 2 (View I Want to Change). In this view I want to drop the Artist, Album and File Type fields and add the DR value field.

Now the odd part - if I right click on any Artist leaf OR any album under the Artist leaf - and view the right click menu - the Customize View option is not available. (See attachment  3 - Right Click menu from Tree) Same deal when I attempt to change the view by clicking on the menu that appears on the Tab for the view (See attachment 4 - Menu From View Tab).

Seems logic to me that if ALL of these areas do not allow me to Customize the view at all - any changes I make in the view will be lost - which is exactly what I am seeing.

Even more strange is that this view - is the ONLY one that has these menu greyed out. I cannot find any way to activate them in any area of MC. It's almost as if I have perhaps dragged one view into another (Assuming that my Artist view is - in fact - stock in nature) and now there is no way to "unlock" it.

So - the questions:

1. Is your Artist view the same as mine.
2. If you create an Artist view from the standard MC template - is it like mine
3. If I have messed with mine to create this mongrel Artist view - what's the best way to ditch this and get it to a view that I can change at will?

Appreciate any update!

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 07:51:20 am »

Glynor,

Any thoughts on this?

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 04:29:38 pm »

Just bringing this one back up after a while.

Just wondering if anyone has any more ideas on why I can drop a couple columns, add a couple columns on my Artist/Album view and then when I shut down and come back the next day - my changes are gone.

I have had to resort to resetting this almost daily now. Would love to get an idea on what exactly is not working.

VP

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 06:01:52 pm »

From what I can tell, it does this to everybody and they've never been able to fix it.

My solution was to fix it like I wanted, then save the view as a preset.  Name it as a view you'll remember and understand and then if it loses it, just load the preset which is 2 clicks.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 06:15:52 pm »

My solution was to fix it like I wanted, then save the view as a preset.  Name it as a view you'll remember and understand and then if it loses it, just load the preset which is 2 clicks.

Coolio. Will try that.

Cheers!

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 05:52:08 pm »

From what I can tell, it does this to everybody and they've never been able to fix it.

Can we go back and bump the original thread where I helped on this? I don't remember details anymore.

It certainly does not happen to me.  I think there's an odd interaction with Categories style views, and I remember I figured some of it out on the old thread, but I don't have time to look.

Splitting threads all over the place doesn't help, and then no one has the history.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 05:53:51 pm »

Can we go back and bump the original thread where I helped on this? I don't remember details anymore.

Will try and find it.

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 07:56:34 am »

Bump for Glynor....

VP

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 09:41:24 am »

Two things:

1.  I'm kinda confused about the type of change you are trying to make.  Are you simply right clicking on the column view in the big pane on the right side of the interface and selecting new columns from the big scrollable list that pops up?  That's how I always select my columns in any view and they stick between sessions.  Not that these columns stick *even* on the stock views and I do NOT get a prompt about changing a stock view.  If I right click on the view and choose "Customize View" and make changes there, I *do* get a warning at that point.  I have never saved over a stock view with this second method.

2.  Based on your screen shots, I tried "Customize View" on different views.  Some of the stock ones, and some I built myself.  You are correct that Customize View is greyed out on all child leaf nodes.  Customize View is only available on the main category view.  By main, I mean the ones that start with the disclosure triangle.  Ones like Albums, Artists, Files, etc.  Anything below those, under the disclosure triangle, will not allow you to select Customize View.  This makes sense to me because if you could customize those leaf nodes, you would be creating sub-views underneath the master view.  You need to select the master view in order to Customize View.  I have no idea if it has always been this way or not, as I have never tried to customize a leaf node before today.

I don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd report my findings.

Brian.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 09:46:31 am »

Based on your screen shots, I tried "Customize View" on different views.  Some of the stock ones, and some I built myself.  You are correct that Customize View is greyed out on all child leaf nodes.  Customize View is only available on the main category view.  By main, I mean the ones that start with the disclosure triangle.  Ones like Albums, Artists, Files, etc.  Anything below those, under the disclosure triangle, will not allow you to select Customize View.  This makes sense to me because if you could customize those leaf nodes, you would be creating sub-views underneath the master view.  You need to select the master view in order to Customize View.  I have no idea if it has always been this way or not, as I have never tried to customize a leaf node before today.

Interesting (and frustrating) all the same time. Never occurred to me that changing columns in the "leaf/child" (subview) would cause issues. Maybe I should try and dump some columns and add some at top Artist View..

Let me mess around there and get back here....

EDIT: That did not even stick for as long as it took to click out of the view and come back! See attachment for the order in which I clicked. After I made my changes in the file panel - nothing was saved when I clicked away and came back in.

VP

blgentry

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 10:04:49 am »

Just tried your method exactly and it works fine on my system (MC 20.0.94 on Mac).  The column changes also persist after stopping and re-starting MC.

I guess the good news is, it's supposed to work and does on at least one system!

As to how to fix your system, I have no clue.  Hopefully someone else will.

Brian.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 10:11:35 am »

Just tried your method exactly and it works fine on my system (MC 20.0.94 on Mac).  The column changes also persist after stopping and re-starting MC. I guess the good news is, it's supposed to work and does on at least one system! As to how to fix your system, I have no clue.  Hopefully someone else will. Brian.

It gets even worse.

I can create a brand new view - Identical to this one and it still will not keep changes.

Clearly there is something wrong with my library or something else here.

VP

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 11:37:41 am »

How about creating a test library, and importing a few albums.  Then see if you can make the types of changes you are talking about.

Brian.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 11:48:27 am »

How about creating a test library, and importing a few albums.  Then see if you can make the types of changes you are talking about.

Brian.

Could try that. My existing "master" here has been in use for at least 4 versions of MC. Might be time for a fresh start.

Will report back

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 04:23:05 pm »

Bump for Glynor....

VP

Thanks. I did the merge thing.