INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First track has incorrect length & bitrate  (Read 1391 times)

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
First track has incorrect length & bitrate
« on: September 22, 2003, 11:36:46 pm »

My first post on a forum which I check daily for a product which I use all the time.  Thanks to everyone involved for all their hard work. :)

This problem is one I've seen intermittently on every build of Media Center that I've used - from 9.0.180 all the way through to the current daily build.

When ripping a CD, occasionally - not always - the first track will appear with an incorrect time and bitrate.  The bitrate is usually 32 and the time around 25 minutes, although this varies.  The track itself plays fine.  Although Media Center (and the iPod I transfer it to) shows a 25-minute bar, when the natural playing time of the song has elapsed it progresses to the next track as usual.

As such it's an irritation rather than a major problem, but I've not seen it mentioned before.  I rip all my MP3s as VBR High Quality, and re-ripping the offending track on its own seems to resolve the problem.

Anyone else come across this one?

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: First track has incorrect length & bit
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 04:28:30 am »

The most likely reason this is happening is because of a missing or corrupt VBR header.

http://www.willwap.co.uk/Programs/vbrfix.html

Rob

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: First track has incorrect length & bitrate
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 08:01:23 am »

Yeah - I've seen this happen about 3 times (out of about 3,200 tracks ripped with VBR with the --alt-preset standard). Each time, I've just deleted and re-ripped with success.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 11:18:03 am »

The only time I have the problem is on MP3s given to me by a friend who uses MusicMatch for ripping and encoding.

Rob

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 12:50:55 am »

Yes, most of the tracks which had the problem were ones I had ripped in MusicMatch before discovering Media Center.  Although Media Center does seem to exhibit the problem very occasionally.

The program link posted above worked brilliantly - thanks for posting that.  I set it to run on all my MP3s, came back 2 hours later and it had resolved all the problems.  It didn't like a handful of tracks I had with Cyrillic names but that's a very minor problem.  Now all I have to do is resync the lot to my iPod and I'm sorted.  8)

trw7

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 01:07:43 pm »

I discovered this problem too.  See the details in my post "VBR Encoding results in incorrect duration"
Pages: [1]   Go Up