INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you change the way album name displays in view pane?  (Read 4297 times)

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
Can you change the way album name displays in view pane?
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:51:42 am »

I'm really struggling with this and I can't find the answer anywhere. In the following image, please look at the title I've ringed in red:

As you can see, it says "Stokowski Rhapsodies by Various Artists". Fair enough - the artists do vary from track to track. But I don't want it to say that. I want it to say "Stokowski Rhapsodies by Leopold Stokowski, conductor". So I've put "Leopold Stokowski, conductor" in the Album Artist field because as I understand it, if you insert something in the Album Artist field, it becomes Album Artist (auto) and should always automatically override whatever appears in the individual artist field.

But as you can see, it doesn't. So what's gone wrong? And can I fix it?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Canyou change the way album name displays in view pane?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:01:00 pm »

Did you close MC and restart it after the change?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:33:48 pm »

You also need to specify what fields are displayed in each view.  You're showing a custom view: did you make sure to edit the view to show Album Artist rather than Artist in the "group by" and "display by" sections of the view customization tool?

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:55:16 pm »

Did you close MC and restart it after the change?

Thanks for replying - yes, did that.

You also need to specify what fields are displayed in each view.  You're showing a custom view: did you make sure to edit the view to show Album Artist rather than Artist in the "group by" and "display by" sections of the view customization tool?

I'm not quite advanced enough to follow that! When I created this album view, called RCA Living Stereo, I right clicked on it in the tree and clicked on Custom View to set a rule for what it displayed. In the Custom View window that popped up, I selected "Genre", "is any", and then the genre name that I've given to my Living Stereo albums which is "Classical Living Stereo". That's all I did. I can't see any "group by" or "display by" options in the Custom View window  - can you tell me where to find these?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 01:00:55 pm »

I'm not in front of MC right now, but if you right-click on the view you created and select "customize view" you should be presented with a window with several options in it.  I believe the relevant settings are in the right pane under "set rules for file display."

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 01:31:31 pm »

Here it is, but I just don't see any "group by" or "display by":

Edit: sorry, that's a bit small - let me know if you want me to post it again with a larger image.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 01:37:48 pm »

I could've sworn it would be there, my apologies.  I'll need to burrow around in my views to find it, but I unfortunately won't be able to do that soon. 

Hopefully glynor or someone knowledgeable about views (with MC in front of them) can offer an assist.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 01:57:42 pm »

just right click next to the header (not on the header) and that is where the group by is....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Can you change the way album name displays in view pane?
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 04:06:59 pm »

Aha! Thank you very much - now I can see the "group by" options.

It doesn't take me anywhere, though. If I change "Group by" from Album to Album Artist (auto) it replaces the whole title with just the words "Leopold Stokowski, conductor" - so in other words, I gain the Album Artist (auto) but I lose the album title. Changing "Sort Inside Groups By" from default to Album Artist (auto) doesn't change the title at all, not even after closing and reopening MC.

I don't understand this. From what I've read, the words "Various artists" are only inserted by Album Artist (auto) as a default if you haven't completed the Album Artist (auto) field manually. If you have completed the Album Artist (auto) field manually, you should never see the words "Various artists". You can see from my OP that all the files are displaying "Leopold Stokowski, conductor" as the Album Artist (auto) so I don't understand why the title is calling him "Various artists".  ?

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 04:44:52 pm »

I just tested this myself on the stock view called "Albums".  It behaves the way the OP says.  It shows Various Artists for an album that has album artist set to something else (in this case Album Artist is LTJ Bukem).

I played with grouping options, and poked around in Customize View, but I didn't find anything that worked to fix it.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 06:36:47 pm »

Grouping is a bit odd, and there is "magic" under the covers with some of the settings.  Read this:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85110.0
and this (and down)...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84869.msg580144#msg580144
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 04:06:16 am »

I just tested this myself on the stock view called "Albums".  It behaves the way the OP says.  It shows Various Artists for an album that has album artist set to something else (in this case Album Artist is LTJ Bukem).

I played with grouping options, and poked around in Customize View, but I didn't find anything that worked to fix it.

Brian.

Many thanks for doing that, Brian.

Grouping is a bit odd, and there is "magic" under the covers with some of the settings.  Read this:
and this (and down)...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84869.msg580144#msg580144

Thanks, glynor, that's very helpful. I'll have a play around with that and will report back. 

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 06:47:39 am »

Glynor, reading those threads you linked to, it turns out that in the first thread

member RJC had exactly the same problem I'm referring to and the conclusion was that it's a glitch in the program. The title ought to take the artist name from Album Artist (auto) or at least from Album Artist, but instead it takes the artist name from the individual tracks and if the names aren't identical, it simply inserts Various Artists even though you've deliberately created an Album Artist name and also inserted it in Album Artist (auto).

There doesn't seem to be a way around this except the one you suggested in that thread, which was to create a new custom field in Manage Library Fields and load it in Group By. If I follow those instructions, I get this:

So now I get the correct title but it's not very pretty. It's not justified left, the year isn't justified right and those three dots are annoying. I can delete the year but the three dots won't go away and I can't see any way to justify the title left.

Is there any way to justifiy it left and get rid of the three dots?

The good news is, even without the custom field, the album displays correctly in JRemote with the correct title and album artist and no mention anywhere of "Various Artists"! 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 09:49:20 pm »

It isn't a glitch, it is not the way it is designed. RJC didn't like it, but that doesn't mean it is broken.

I won't comment here on how it works, as I said enough (I think) in those previous threads.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 03:02:53 am »

It isn't a glitch, it is not the way it is designed. RJC didn't like it, but that doesn't mean it is broken.

I won't comment here on how it works, as I said enough (I think) in those previous threads.

Glynor, please don't think me cheeky but you did specifically state it WAS broken in your final post in the following thread, as referenced above:

And I agree with what you said in that thread because it just doesn't make sense, the way it's set up at the moment. Obviously the album title should take the artist name from the album artist, or from album artist (auto), not from individual track artists - no one could disagree with that. So I do hope it can be put on the list of things to do, either to be fixed or to be made customisable.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 06:41:51 am »

You're right.  I forgot, because I don't use them!

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 04:06:33 pm »

I still don't sense much enthusiasm for fixing it but oh well, if ever anyone finds themselves with nothing better to do...
Pages: [1]   Go Up