INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "play local file if one matches..."  (Read 2753 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
"play local file if one matches..."
« on: June 07, 2015, 05:55:16 am »

If media files are accessible via the same path on client and server, and the above mentioned option is checked, the client will retrieve the file itaelf rather than asking the server to retrieve it and stream it over the network.

But what happens when the client is sending the music to a zone on the server? Does this setting then not apply and the server retrieves and plays it directly, or does the client retrieve it first then stream it to the server?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: "play local file if one matches..."
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:58:12 am »

It would indeed be interesting to know the answer to this question.

I assume that your context is the new "Dr Who" playlist sharing feature (which I have not tried yet myself); where if a playlist item links to a full file on your local PC (or NAS) then MC can push that track to a DLNA renderer, but if the playlist item links to a sample file on JRiver's remote server, then presumably MC cannot push it to a DLNA renderer.

Or ??

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:02:02 am »

I assume that your context is the new "Dr Who" playlist sharing feature (which I have not tried yet myself); where if a playlist item links to a full file on your local PC (or NAS) then MC can push that track to a DLNA renderer, but if the playlist item links to a sample file on JRiver's remote server, then presumably MC cannot push it to a DLNA renderer.

Or ??

I think you completely mis-interpreted the question. I don't think it has anything to do with Doctor Who.

To answer the OP, if you're controlling a zone on the server, or even a remote zone connected to the server, then the server will control the playback, and the server will get the file locally, not stream it through the client in circles. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

csimon

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:10:08 am »

I assume that your context is the new "Dr Who" playlist sharing feature

LOL, no actually!  I'm still trying to work out the optimum network configuration for multiple clients, servers, remotes and what to connect to what etc. No point in setting it up in a particular way if it results in a file being passed twice over the network.  In the situation I've outlined, theoretically it could result in a situation that the "Play local file if one exists" facility was meant to avoid but accidentally creates.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:13:56 am »

if you're controlling a zone on the server, or even a remote zone connected to the server, then the server will control the playback, and the server will get the file locally, not stream it through the client in circles. :)

OK, thank you, so basically the client option "play local file if one exists" only applies if it's a client zone that is chosen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up