INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Specific question about playlist and a related general question.  (Read 1906 times)

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

I'm not a big playlist user, but on occasion I don't feel like listening to an entire album and I just want to create an ad-hoc playlist and treat the whole thing like a juke box.   

What I've noticed about the playlist is it doesn't update dynamically, or else I don't know how to do that.  What I mean is, let's say I start playing the playlist while I'm building it.  Let's say I have three songs on the playlist and start the first one while I continue to add songs.   MC appears to 'freeze' the contents of the playlist in the sense that even though I add stuff, it plays the three songs that were in the initial list and then stops.  It would appear that MC reads the list once and that's it.   Is there an option to make this more 'real time editable'?

The general question is also about batch processing.   Since I moved my fairly large collection from WMP to MC, I've had on occasion to fix tags.  Last night I came across an album where the first track was tagged to be from a different album than the rest.  No problem, I change the tag...but nothing changes in the view, until I back out and then go back to the album, which then reflects the change.

In both cases, it appears that MC is set up to read lists only once, which I assume to be a performance management feature.   Am I missing some way of making things update as soon as they are changed, or is the behavior I'm discussing hard coded? 

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Specific question about playlist and a related general question.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:52:39 pm »

You could just build the playlist in Playing Now.  That way when you add a file it'll actually play even if you're already playing.

When you start playback of a playlist, a snapshot of it is transferred to Playing Now.  Additional edits to the playlist won't propagate to Playing Now automatically.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:48:35 pm »

Matt said it all very succinctly.  But let me add a little detail.

The Playing Now queue is one of the best features of JRiver and you should use it.  Use it as an ad hoc playlist.  Add songs to it.  Rearrange them.  Remove some.  You might really enjoy some of the options for "add to playing now".  Right click on any song, album, etc and look for the "more playing now options" menu.  You'll find things like "add to playing now, next to play".  This is in contrast to "add to playing now" which puts it at the end of the list.  There are other options there too.

What if you've got a play list going in Playing Now and you decide you don't like an album or an artist for this session?  You can use the search box while you're in playing now and it only searches the playing now list!  This is awesome because you can just enter a few characters, find the offending songs, and delete them from playing now, leaving the rest intact.

But what if you build a real master piece of a play list while in playing now?  Well, Playing Now doesn't remove anything that it's already played, so the whole history of the entire session is right there.  You can highlight all the songs (ctrl-a) and then right click and find the option to create a new play list.  Or you can use the preset buttons in playing now (numbered 1 through 12).  Just press and hold one of them and it will use the entire playing now as a new "preset".  Presets are just play lists that are stored in a special group called Car Radio.  Like the push buttons on old style car radios.

Playing Now and all of it's well thought out functionality is one of the reasons I use JRiver.  Give it a try and I think you'll like it.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:57:15 pm »

There is also the built in "Recent Playing Now's" playlists, under Playlists heading.

Using that you can revive earlier playlist you have had for a period of time. Take a look in there and you will see copies of the playlists you have used recently.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:41:58 am »

Thanks, folks.

A rookie mistake on my part, I didn't understand the "playing now" feature, and that is exactly what I was looking for.

Pages: [1]   Go Up