INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How connect MC client to MC DLNA server?  (Read 4596 times)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
How connect MC client to MC DLNA server?
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:34:45 am »

When running MC on a second pc I can connect to the main MC pc using "Add Library..."

But how do I connect to the main pc MC's DLNA server? It seems the MC generic DLNA server uses port 52100 or 52101 or so? I can't connect by specifying that port though.

PS:
This works but with an alternative DLNA controller: MC as DLNA server -> BubbleUpnp DLNA controller -> MC as a player/renderer. But I want to use MC as a DLNA controller.

rlebrette

Re: How connect MC client to MC DLNA server?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 04:08:43 am »

Communication from MC to MC is native, no need to use DLNA.
From either the server or the client, you should see in the playing zones the remote PC's zones.
Playing something in one of these zones will "push" the media on the other computer.

rlebrette

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 04:10:11 am »

Forgot to write that even if the DLNA setting is not used in this configuration, you have to get the network features enabled.

rlebrette

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 04:14:03 am »

Another small omission, zone discovery can take some seconds (few in reality in a small size network), so be patient zones should appear in few seconds.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 05:01:50 am »

From either the server or the client, you should see in the playing zones the remote PC's zones.

No. It is not possible to see zones of a client, you can only see the remote PC's zone if it's the library server you are connected to, you cannot see the client's zones from the server, the zones of another client, nor the zones of a PC that you have not loaded the library of. DLNA is the only way to do that and therefore the only way to set up a whole house network where you want to be able to see all the zones.  Also, if you have multiple zones on a PC, it is not possible to send video to them using a remote such as BubbleUPnP or Gizmo.

rlebrette

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 05:08:17 am »

No. It is not possible to see zones of a client, you can only see the remote PC's zone if it's the library server you are connected to, you cannot see the client's zones from the server. DLNA is the only way to see a client's zones and therefore the only way to set up a network where you want to be able to see all zones in the whole house.

Indeed, but from the first post, the client has been connected via the library, isn't it? Maybe I've not captured the initial need.
I've several clients with a central media server, all MC zones are accessible from any point.

rlebrette

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 05:12:27 am »

J've just remotely checked my setup, my media server is seeing all my MC clients, and I can start any media to any zone from here.

csimon

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 05:14:06 am »

Indeed, but from the first post, the client has been connected via the library, isn't it? Maybe I've not captured the initial need.

OK.  I read it as "how do I connect using DLNA instead of loading the library", not "at the same time as", and the setting "Show zones from server on client" needs to be checked for that.

I've several clients with a central media server, all MC zones are accessible from any point.

Not from client to client without enabling DLNA!

csimon

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 05:15:21 am »

J've just remotely checked my setup, my media server is seeing all my MC clients, and I can start any media to any zone from here.

You have DLNA renderer enabled on the clients and DLNA controller enabled on the server?

rlebrette

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 05:29:13 am »

You have DLNA renderer enabled on the clients and DLNA controller enabled on the server?

For sure, this is the default setting. The network module is enabling library sharing/DLNA at the same time.
Don't know if MC-to-MC communication is based on the DLNA, but there's something sure, when files are accessible from the client (shared drive) the client is reading them without going through the server.
Matt will surely make all this clear soon.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 06:25:58 am »

Thanks for all replies!

What I want to do is to not use the native MC client server zone stuff but instead use the built in DLNA server.

In MC all DLNA renderers/players pop up automatically. But from the client PC I can't see or connect to any MC DLNA servers including JRMCs DLNA server on my main PC.

Why I want to use DLNA instead of the built in "add library" is the transcoding and DSP functionality available from the DLNA server in MC. For example I've setup a low bandwith transcoding DLNA server to use from remote locations (= the summer house :-) )

csimon

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 07:17:33 am »

It will need a JRiver person to comment I think to clarify what's going on, as I think there are several things conspiring here, but here are my thoughts.

It may well be that MC doesn't allow you to connect to one of its own DLNA servers. There's no point really, because if you've enabled DLNA server on a PC, it's also automatically an MC library server (because you've had to turn on Media Network).  I don't know if this is indeed how it works and whether there is a way to hide and unhide MC DLNA servers from the list. But you might as well just download the library server's library, rather than the DLNA one.  DLNA server does allow you create multiple servers with their own libraries so I guess it's possible you might want the ability to connect to a different library, but you wouldn't get different views as you have set up in the DLNA server, which is the only advantage of different DLNA servers, because MC is a sophisticated DLNA client and it ignores the views set up on external DLNA servers and creates its own depending on the views you've set up in standard view.

DLNA servers also allow you to specify different transcoding options and DSP which happen on the server, not the client, and this is why you want to do it that way. But I think the transcoding options don't work from the library that you are playing from. It's dependant on the renderer you are playing to. There was a longstanding problem in that MC originally only used the transcoding settings of the first DLNA server in the list but I believe there's now an option where you can associate a DLNA server with a DLNA renderer.  So basically, you set up a DLNA server with individual settings for each renderer then associate the renderer with its appropriate DLNA server.  Then when you play to a renderer, MC will use those setttings. It's not dependant on the library you have loaded, which literally only gives you the list of files to browse.

So I think what you need to do is connect to the library server as normal and then set up all your clients as DLNA renderers.  But again someone from JRiver should confirm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up