INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use a VST plugin in JRiver windows and then stream to an RPI JRiver?  (Read 9648 times)

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Hello,
My question is about applying DSP effects (VST dither plug in in this case) on my windows machine which acts as a server (running JRiver) and then stream the processed music to an RPI running Jrievr as rendered? That's the box actually connected to my Hifi...

Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Hello,
My question is about applying DSP effects (VST dither plug in in this case) on my windows machine which acts as a server (running JRiver) and then stream the processed music to an RPI running Jrievr as rendered? That's the box actually connected to my Hifi...

Thanks!
Yes, this should work.
You need to set the DLNA server on the windows MC to specified format then set the DSP parameters in the DLNA server advanced configuration.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Thanks Mate,
It looks like it's working!

A few questions:

1. What output format shall I use on the windows machine? I chose PCM 24 bit - this means that on the renderer (RPI machine)  16/44 shows like 24 bit (e.g teh source file has 1004KB and the renderer shows 2116Kbs) - is this correct?

2. Is there a way to turn off the volume on the windows machine? While it's playing?

3. does this means I can also run room correction on the windows machine and stream the result to the RPI? It's a much more powerful machine

Thanks,
This is a very elegant solution!

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Also,
What settings shoudl I have on the renderer for it to act 'dumb' - i..e no volume changes or other processing?

At the moment if I use JRemote to connect to the windows machine (DLNA Controller) than I can control the songs correctly but volume changes don't happen on the Renderer (RPI) - even-though the windows machine does change the volume as needed.

If I connect directly to the renderer than the volume works - but the playlist is messed up (shows the wrong songs being played)... Obviously if I'm doing all the processing (DSP & Dither) on the controller I don't want the renderer to apply volume too..

please advise...

bob

• Administrator

Thanks Mate,
It looks like it's working!

A few questions:

1. What output format shall I use on the windows machine? I chose PCM 24 bit - this means that on the renderer (RPI machine)  16/44 shows like 24 bit (e.g teh source file has 1004KB and the renderer shows 2116Kbs) - is this correct?

2. Is there a way to turn off the volume on the windows machine? While it's playing?

3. does this means I can also run room correction on the windows machine and stream the result to the RPI? It's a much more powerful machine

Thanks,
This is a very elegant solution!
PCM 24 bit should be fine.
If you are talking about controling the volume on the RPi renderer from the windows machine, depending on the output device you might want to use internal volume control In MC on the RPi.
I have heard of people using the room correction in the way you suggest.

Concerning processing on the renderer, nothing will be done to process the file if DSP studio is not enabled on the RPi.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Thanks Bob,
that's very helpful.

Is there a way of disabling volume control on the renderer? If it works it messes up the dither...?

So that the server (windows machine does the volume, and dither) and the renderer (RPI) just plays the music stream without applying any volume?

Thank you!

bob

• Administrator

Is there a way of disabling volume control on the renderer? If it works it messes up the dither...?

So that the server (windows machine does the volume, and dither) and the renderer (RPI) just plays the music stream without applying any volume?

Thank you!
I don't think there is a way to do that.
If you use the internal volume control on the renderer and disable dithering there I'd think that'd work.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

I don't think there is a way to do that.
If you use the internal volume control on the renderer and disable dithering there I'd think that'd work.

Thank you Bob,
Do you mean set 'internal volume' or 'disable volume' on the renderer?

When I try this I can see the volume slider moving on the renderer in unison with the server's volume.
What I'm concerned about is that the renderer is also applying volume (without dither)... Is there a way to verify this?

Part of the issue is that on the latest RPI JRiver release the 'audio path' button is broken so it doesn't show, I imagine that way I'd know what's happening there...

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Bob,
Just to clarify my question is whether volume control is applied server-side or client-side if DSP is being used with DLNA playback?

Thanks!

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Bob,
Just to clarify my question is whether volume control is applied server-side or client-side if DSP is being used with DLNA playback?

Thanks!

Anyone?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Volume is part of DSP.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Volume is part of DSP.

Thanks Jim,
Can you please clarify?

My understanding is that when streaming via DLNA (including when applying the DSP) than the renderer still does volume control thus applying dither - again. Is this correct?

Thank you,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Please read the wiki topic on volume and explore the volume options available.

When you apply volume, you're using DSP.  If the renderer is MC, then you might also do it there.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Thanks mate,
Maybe I'm not very bright but I don't understand.

All I want to do is use the server running JRiver to apply DSP (including dither) and then stream it via DLNA to another JRiver box running RPI that connected to my actual hifi. I do not want the renderer to apply volume, because it was already applied (along with the dither plug in) at he server side.

At the moment the volume sliders move in unison on the server and the renderer or if I set the renderer to disable volume than I don't have volume control on the server as well.

Thank you!

Pages: [1]   Go Up