INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo setup Wireless connection  (Read 1271 times)

drc

• World Citizen
Gizmo setup Wireless connection
« on: June 25, 2015, 03:19:49 pm »

I'm using the Gizmo, works great ... I can connect the Tablet remotely when the laptop is hardwired (ethernet) connection.  

however, if I use the wireless on my laptop, the client (Tablet) can not connect... should I be able to connect from a wireless connection?  Not sure if I have something blocking.  It seems as long as the server is open, i should be able to connect.

Again, as long as the laptop is hardwired, i can connect to the tablet, but if the laptop is wireless connected to the router, i can't connect the tablet.

any ideas

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo setup Wireless connection
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:45:43 pm »

Yeah, wired or wireless should work equally well.  I'm betting your wireless is segmented from your wired.  Meaning that the range of IP addresses that the wireless hands out is different from the range of the wired.  So the wireless probably can't route to the wired segment.

Do you have computers on wireless and others on wired?  Can they talk to each other for file sharing and that kind of thing?

Maybe the easiest thing to do is to find the IP address of your JRiver machine and find the IP address of your tablet and compare the two to see if they are in the same block.  A typical block would be something like 192.168.1.X .  Where X will be different for each computer.  If they start with different numbers, they are probably segmented.

Brian.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Gizmo setup Wireless connection
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:12:37 pm »

One thing that I've fallen foul of is this.

Many routers, mine included (Asus RT-AC66U), allows you to setup a guest WiFi connection so that guests can gain internet access without the hassle of WEP keys etc. However for security reasons the guest WiFi is restricted from accessing your internal network and can only connect to the outside. I have found that occasionally my tablet has connected to the guest WiFi instead of my normal one which means it has been unable to connect to the MC server because of this security restriction.

Obviously this is only relevant if the connection setup in Gizmo is to the IP address of the MC server. If you use the media network access key then it will still work because that does go out over the internet and then back in again to the server and does not connect internally (I think anyway).

I'm not saying this is your problem but I have been caught out by this a few times so thought I'd mention it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up