INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Hanging  (Read 3598 times)

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
MC Hanging
« on: June 29, 2015, 01:32:41 am »

Hi

I am having a problem where MC simply hangs and fairly often at that.

I have an i7 with 8g Ram PC doing nothing else but run MC and the system. All music is on one USB 2Tb External Drive. All music data excluded from virus checking.

I use JRemote 80% Theatre View 20% roughly.

An example , yesterday I listened after about 3 hrs suddenly MC hung. I had to Ctr Alt delete to restart etc. When I put the TV on I saw in the Theatre view a album cover I was listening at the start of the session.

Should Theatre View keep up with what is being played . It seems sometimes it does , sometimes not.

I am finding this happens almost daily. I keep the PC switched on with MC running as the Media Server for the JRemote and I do all my file maintenance , tags etc via another PC over the network.

Auto import is set to run in the background, and there is one External USB Drive being "Watched"

Playback is set to run from memory.

Any ideas

Mike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Hanging
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:38:50 am »

Try excluding the library files from the virus checker.

Try uninstalling it.

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:43:17 am »

Hi Jim

Thanks for the swift reply.

Sorry I missed a bit , the Library files , cover art etc , all MC related files are excluded from Virus checking. The PC is rarely used on the internet just on my local wireless network.

I will try a Re install. Its on the latest version (115) and set for auto update on Latest channel.

Mike

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 06:39:11 am »

I had to Ctr Alt delete to restart etc.

The whole computer froze and you had to reboot to unstick it?  Or you just used the Task Manager to kill MC?

Read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MikeO

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:18:58 am »

Hi Glynor

I had to just Kill MC and restart it . The PC was working fine. That said when it happens , I normally reboot the whole PC just to be sure.

I have been through the troubleshooting guide. The only thing I didn't have set up was building thumbnails , so I have done that.

A couple of things I did see though. I use JRemote mostly with the TV off, in yesterday's session I listened tracks from maybe 15 albums. When it hung and I turned the TV on the Theatre View showed "Now Playing" as an album maybe 5 out of the 15 as if the "Playing Now" was not refreshing if that's possible. If I use JRemote with the TV on , normally the "Playing Now" keeps up with the current track.

During that session I was doing nothing else in the background like Importing or copying files

I'll see if the Thumbnails building has any impact.

Mike

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:39:04 am »

Do us a solid and report the stuff in the Reporting a Problem section, then.

This kind of thing is typically a driver issue, usually for the audio output device.  Though, it could also be an issue with your external media storage device.  It checks out okay too?

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:20:41 am »

Hi

Since I rebuilt the thumbnails its behaved itself.(Holding Thumbs !!)

I have also removed all video off the PC for the time being so its audio only

I have checked the Audio drivers and they are current. It's running WASAPI to an Audiolab M-DAC

The Media storage may be an issue but hasn't been . Its a Seagate Expansion 2 Tb USB3 Drive buts its running through a USB 2 port .

All "important stuff" Library , Cover art etc. is on the C drive . I did recently try to replace the C drive with an SSD but the PC Shop Guys couldn't get the PC to recognise the drive it used so I left well alone. (They blamed the Samsung laptop !! maybe I need a new shop)

I am also using a multi USB Hub rather than direct into the PC as its a bit short on ports  , could be an issue maybe. I'll try it direct into a USB port and leave the remote and USB mouse stuff on the hub.

Thanks for the suggestions

Mike

MikeO

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 10:37:35 am »

Ps

I have been playing a lot of hd tracks of late mostly 24/96 but some 192

I have dsp studio set to convert 192 to 96 to suit my dac

May this have any impact. Some of the files are quite big

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 11:49:10 am »

If the MC20 Browsing Engine is set to "Chromium" try changing it to "Internet Explorer".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:10:21 pm »

I am also using a multi USB Hub rather than direct into the PC as its a bit short on ports  , could be an issue maybe. I'll try it direct into a USB port and leave the remote and USB mouse stuff on the hub.

This is almost certainly the cause.

There are a BUNCH of instances of USB hubs causing hangs and crashes in the Weird Problems thread in JimH's signature. They're notorious for flaking out when pushed hard.

If you have either of these devices on a USB Hub, you better make sure it is the highest quality, most rock-solid hub ever built (and even then, expect it to flake out occasionally):
* Hard drive
* DAC

Hubs == Crap.  Not just a few individual models. Basically, all of them.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 02:38:55 pm »

True, and not only that, USB jacks on PCs and laptops can develop problems.

I was running MC20 as a DVR on a spare laptop, and continually having problems.  When I moved the external hard drive to my router (and thus recorded TV to it over the ethernet cable from the laptop to the router), all the problems went away.

If you do a web search, you'll find a lot of threads talking about USB going bad on motherboards...
Pages: [1]   Go Up