INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does voluem work when controling a renderer?  (Read 1959 times)

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
How does voluem work when controling a renderer?
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:54:16 am »

Hello,
I'm new to this and am generally very happy with JRiver.

I'm trying to run my windows computer as DLNA server/controller and render to another RPI box running JRiver.

I'm using the DLNA server DSP to run volume leveling and an external dither plugin.
I managed to get music playing by controlling teh windows box via JRemote and choosing the pi as a renderer.

My question is about the volume control - when I change the volume I can see the volume slider moving on the RPI... Does it reflect the volume on the windows server (which Is what I want because of the dither plugin afterwards)? Or does the Raspberry  Pi renderer applies it's own volume (which messes p the dither beforehand?) How can I find out?

Incidentally even when the DSP is running on the windows server if you go into the server DSP setting it says they are not processing anything even though I can hear they are...?

Thank you!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How does voluem work when controling a renderer?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:00:21 pm »

The Control Point (MC) sends UPnP SetVolume commands to the Renderer.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 12:03:23 pm »

The Control Point (MC) sends UPnP SetVolume commands to the Renderer.

Thank you,
so even though the volume slider is moving on the renderer it's not processing any volume and it is in the music streamed from the server?

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:16:45 pm »

Thank you,
so even though the volume slider is moving on the renderer it's not processing any volume and it is in the music streamed from the server?

No, as AndrewFG said, the Control Point (MC) sends the command to tell the renderer to adjust it's volume up or down. The streamed audio does not change.

Also, if you adjust the volume directly on the renderer then the volume slider on the control point will move to reflect the new volume on the renderer.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 12:49:05 pm »

No, as AndrewFG said, the Control Point (MC) sends the command to tell the renderer to adjust it's volume up or down. The streamed audio does not change.

Also, if you adjust the volume directly on the renderer then the volume slider on the control point will move to reflect the new volume on the renderer.

Thanks gentlemen,
So is there any way to get the volume and dither processed on the server and have the renderer not apply volume? Perhaps disable volume on it? Stream as WAV?

Any ideas are welcome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up