INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art > Get From Internet improvements  (Read 4584 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Cover Art > Get From Internet improvements
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:30:59 pm »

I've always been a little frustrated with getting cover art. If there is low quality art shown when I use "Get From Internet" then I have to close the tool and go search externally for cover art, copy the url of the cover art, and paste the url in JRiver.

Is there a way to make the tool smarter? I recently found that if I search for cover art on Tidal (or Wimp) that I can get some higher quality cover art (1280 x 1280) than a lot of my stuff.

It would be neat if we could select one or more of our predefined Links to search from while within the tool.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Cover Art > Get From Internet improvements
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 05:18:47 pm »

Not what you're asking for, but you don't need to copy the url, you can just right click on the image and copy it that way.  It saves several clicks.

I feel your pain though.  I recently re-ripped 2500 CDs, and the rest of my library (about 20k additional tracks) needed better cover art.  After doing a few hundred in JRiver, I'm ashamed to say I just paid for dBPoweramp and the cover art extension (PerfectTunes I think it's called?) that pulls hi-res cover art from one of the pay metadata services because I couldn't stomach the thought of doing the rest of that kind of volume in JRiver.  

The "hit rate" in JRiver for the kind of music in my library is just too low and getting art from google to JRiver takes a lot of clicks and window swaps when you're talking about thousands of albums.  The other software's hit rate was about 90%, and it had an integrated google search for when it didn't have a match.  Click on the album once, see their recommended match with the google results right next to it, click the art you want, and it's embedded in the file.  You could even amend the search terms in the same window if you thought you could narrow it down.  Once I was done, JRiver picked up the embedded art nicely.  

Coming out of that massive library renovation, I'm on your page.  I feel like the single biggest thing JRiver could do to improve their cover art usability would be including some kind of google image search (or customizable search) integration below the database matches in MC's cover art lookup window. Even just a google search on album artist and album would improve the usability dramatically (cuts out 5 clicks and a bunch of context changes).  MC already uses GIS for theater view backgrounds, so it's not entirely new ground.

On the plus side, YADB now has a whole lot of nice new high-res cover art in it courtesy of my "infidelity" ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:24:41 pm »

I'm wondering if we could hook Amazon into the lookup routine?  Amazon has really great artwork (at least for the couple albums I tested).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:13:30 pm »

Not what you're asking for, but you don't need to copy the url, you can just right click on the image and copy it that way.  It saves several clicks.
To be clear, I right click the image and select "Copy image URL" in Chrome. I then right click the album in JRiver and click "Paste from clipboard (Image or URL)." By using the URL you eliminate Windows from re-compressing the jpg when copying to clipboard.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:23:19 pm »

Sorry, I thought you were literally selecting and copying the URL text.  I get it now, I'm a doof.  In my defense, in firefox it's called "copy image location."  ;)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:36:45 pm »

I'm wondering if we could hook Amazon into the lookup routine?  Amazon has really great artwork (at least for the couple albums I tested).

That would be cool. Amazon has good covers often

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 07:25:59 am »

The next build will feature Amazon in the lookups alongside YADB.

Thanks to JohnT for coding this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:01:27 am »

Rad! 

flac.rules

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 08:02:42 am »

Very exited for this.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:29:13 am »

Very nice!

Goatshade

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 12:11:03 pm »

Oooh, nice!

Not that I am dissatisfied with the Amazon idea by any means, but how difficult would it be to set this up to work with Google Images using defined parameters similar to those available on Google Images and maybe one or two others (large images only (600x600+), square images only, &c.). Just throwing ideas out there.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 03:41:30 am »

For Cover Art, something like Google Images is way too unreliable, unfortunately. It can result in all sorts of images, and not necessarily cover art.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 08:45:51 am »

For Cover Art, something like Google Images is way too unreliable, unfortunately. It can result in all sorts of images, and not necessarily cover art.
Google Images can be set to only look at certain websites like I demonstrated in my Tidal Link. This is why I suggested in the first post that the Cover Art Tool allow us to select from our predefined Links in the Manage Links tool. This way the user can define whatever website he wants to search for cover art and even use Google Images to return the images. The Manage Links tool is also what lets the user define things like minimum image size.

I guess using Links still returns too many images instead of the one that corresponds directly to the album. Here is an example using Elton John's Elton John album:
Pages: [1]   Go Up