INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing music from NAS... Heavy disk I/O  (Read 1710 times)

Wungun

• World Citizen
Playing music from NAS... Heavy disk I/O
« on: June 05, 2015, 04:10:31 pm »

Granted,  I loaded up an entire artist into play list, and JR is set to play from RAM.
But the whole session, server was being hit hard and steady! This normal....?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playing music from NAS... Heavy disk I/O
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:16:03 pm »

MC may also be doing other background tasks like building thumbnails and analyzing files.

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 01:32:10 pm »

Seems okay now...it was probably doing some DB maintenance.
On the same note (NAS/remote file location), I'm almost CERTAIN I'm hearing some wow and flutter. Gigabit network, hardwired, playing from RAM and server had 12GB of memory as well....
Hmmm....am I hearing things?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Playing music from NAS... Heavy disk I/O
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 01:52:36 pm »

Seems okay now...it was probably doing some DB maintenance.
On the same note (NAS/remote file location), I'm almost CERTAIN I'm hearing some wow and flutter. Gigabit network, hardwired, playing from RAM and server had 12GB of memory as well....
Hmmm....am I hearing things?

I've never heard wow or flutter playing from any digital source (remote or local).  I'm not sure how digital music reproduction could even introduce wow and flutter since they're caused exclusively by mechanical rotary mechanisms driving an analog musical medium at a fairly slow rate (whether tape or vinyl). 

The equivalent digital timing issue is called jitter, but jitter distortion doesn't sound the same as wow and flutter (you wouldn't mistake one for the other in my opinion) and is only an issue at the output (i.e. DAC) so the remote location of the files would actually be an "advantage" to the extent you had a jitter problem (which you probably don't if you have a reasonably modern DAC). 

So my inclination is to say you might be hearing things, but you can try and do some measurements if you want to track the issue down. (unless you've actually enabled pitch adjustment for some reason  ;) )

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 01:57:10 pm »

Jitter is the term I was looking for I suppose. But I think of jitter as a Mhz scale type of issue....like you said, probably not easily audible.
What I heard WAS more similar to W/F though....as if listening to a record play back and someone lightly laid a finger on the turntable. Lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up