INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paying for Hi-rez. Again.  (Read 3600 times)

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
Paying for Hi-rez. Again.
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:26:04 pm »

I note that one of my favorite artists, Jethro Tull is becoming available at Hi-rez sites like HDTracks. The files I'm referring to are 24/96 PCM. But this same information is included on the DVD that comes with the new 40th anniversary releases.

I don't see a way to use MC20 to rip this data. Nor do I see another alternative online. Is there nothing that will free the data from the clutches of my DVD drives and allow me to include it in my MC collection? Or do I have to pay (for the umpteenth time) for yet another version of albums I started buying in 1970?

Thanks!
HT#1: Sony STR-DA5400ES, Polk RTi 7.1 speakers
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)
Id: Original 120GB SSD NUC
Mobile: HIFI Walker H2 and H2 Touch

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Paying for Hi-rez. Again.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »

Nor do I see another alternative online. Is there nothing that will free the data from the clutches of my DVD drives and allow me to include it in my MC collection?

Google DVD Audio Extractor...

VP

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:00:51 pm »

You can use Convert Format within MC.

In the options, pick audio only and select an audio file type, e.g.FLAC or Matt's favourite, APE.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:10:56 am »

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:57:42 am »

It looks like those new Jethro Tull releases either come as a combo set with CDs and DVD-A or CDs and Bluray discs.  DVD Audio Extractor can read the hi-res audio from DVD-A or BD, so you're set there.  DVD-AE has a free 30 day evaluation, so you can try it's full capabilities before you purchase it.  I've used it (in demo mode) to rip the hi-res audio from a couple of DVD-As and it worked quite well.

Note:  If you were planning on playing the hi-res audio on your sound system from a disc player, make sure to purchase the disc format that your player reads.  DVD-A is a "special" format that not very many players support.  On regular DVD players, DVD-As are played from a second set of data on the disc, but it's just regular plain old DVD-Video with DTS or DD audio, which is no where near hi-res.

Brian.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:46:06 am »

Thanks you guys! I will try these methods and report back.  ;D
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 11:10:11 am »

You could also use makemkv losslessly on the disk, change the [mediatype] to audio.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 09:28:24 am »

I had a bunch of fun with DVD-AE over the holiday weekend. I was able to transfer the 40th Anniversary PCM version of Steven Wilsons remix of Thick as a Brick, along with the flat transfer to FLAC. In an A/B comparison I can't tell any difference between the DVD and the FLAC files.

It immediately made me want to try some other titles, so next was the ultra awesome Led Zeppelin dual DVD set (cover shows red sands). I expected 48/16 based on what DVD-AE was telling me about the titles it found on the discs. But MC20 says its playing samples at about 870. Usually I see around 1440 samples on CDs, about 1550 for 48Khz. I can't imagine what went wrong, so I suppose I have some learning to do about DVD-AE.

I am still unable to make a multi-channel surround file with DVD-AE that I can play with MC20. In looking on the forum, I've seen people say that you have to configure MC20 to output to surround. I haven't done that so far, because I also want to be able to play my stereo FLAC files as natively as I can. I wish there was a way to get MC20 to output to my DLNA HT receiver in whatever format the file is configured for. This happens naturally with DVDs and Blu-rays played on my disc player. Why doesn't MC20 do this?

I was not able to get Convert Format in MC20 to perform a conversion from a DVD.

I also tried the Bigasoft Audio Converter, but I found it totally inferior to DVD-AE. I was once again not able to get a single file off of a DVD with that software.

So thanks for the DVD-AE suggestion! I have about 100 other musical DVD titles to go through and learn from.  :D

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 10:18:14 am »

But MC20 says its playing samples at about 870. Usually I see around 1440 samples on CDs, about 1550 for 48Khz

One thing to be aware of when ripping dvd audio is that DVDAE only get the core of some DTS. So it may be 96 but only rip at 48.
MC can rip the full 96 but it's a little more complicated. It's been a while since I have dealt with this stuff so I am just going by memory.
I get get more detailed later if needed.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 01:16:36 pm »

you shouldn't be looking at the bitrate!!

look at the sample rate / bit depth in MC to be sure. 

without compression of any kind, Bitrate = (sampling rate) × (bit depth) × (number of channels) 

i've converted all my DVD-A multichannel discs to ISO then used AnyToIso to extract the .wav files from the ISO, then used MC to convert to multi-flac

as to the DLNA problem, if you have your DLNA settings set to the right conversion it shouldn't be a problem for the AVR.  my multi / 2 channel files play fine to my AVR/Boxes and the device picks based on the DLNA stream.  look over your DLNA settings (tools>options>media network) and make sure audio is either "original" OR "specified format only when necessary"

in DSP studio>output format make sure channels are set to "source number of channels"

and of course, your device must support these things over DLNA, not all of them do!

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 04:28:23 pm »

I have been using DVD AE for a number of years with MC and indeed have found it not only cheaper to buy DVD's of live albums and not CD's, at the same time getting a HQ stereo (PCM) and surround, (DTS or DD) which I play using MC to my receiver over an optical connection for simplicity.

Awesome capability of MC and I enjoy many Queen, Pink Floyd, Roger Walter, Katy Mula etc. music in glorious surround and
Stereo PCM, oh and I get the Video as well, normally cheaper than buying the CD! Go figure!

The main issue is getting a bit perfect stream. In my case is looks like a PCM 2ch stream and the AVR auto detects DTS / DD etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up