INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tag Request - Album Year  (Read 2175 times)

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
New Tag Request - Album Year
« on: September 21, 2003, 07:13:50 am »

I really like the computed year - album in the panes view for sorting albums in chronological order. However, I've removed it for one simple reason. I tag the songs on a greatest hits album according to the year that they were originally released (and yes, it's a pain). What would be great is if there was an album year tag that was automatically populated if all songs on an album had the same year, but could be overridden if they didn't (or whenever the user wanted to).

I would imagine this would be similar in function to the Album Artist field. Is this feasible? Is there another way of accomplishing this that I'm missing? Thanks.

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Tag Request - Album Year
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 12:46:38 pm »

Just create your own tag called Album year and use it in the same way you would use Album Artist...
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 01:48:31 pm »

Fair enough, but can I get it to be auto populated? Album artist is, but then I can override it. If I add my own tag, then I have to go through the entire colllection flagging it correctly. If it worked like album artist, I could do this on an exception basis.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 01:51:21 pm »

I thought there was also an option to copy one field to another.

if so then you can do this in a batch.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 01:58:59 pm »

Getting closer! But a batch is a bit of a pain (I have to have the presence of mind to maintain it). Again, the Album artist field maintains itself. It only needs to be dealt with on an exception basis.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 02:48:30 pm »

In fact the Album Artist field does not.  What you are talkng about is the auto Album Artist field which does.  If you want it to behave like this then no there is nothing at the moment that can do that.  But it is a simple process of when you import new info and tag it you copy data as part of the process.  I do this with the album artist field with every song I import and its really not that big a deal, honestly! ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 06:31:27 pm »

Thanks Adam. That may have to do it for me. However... with about 33000 track already imported...it's another task I'm not looking forward to!

That's alright though... it's only a suggestion! Doesn't take away from the usefulness of the product.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 02:54:17 am »

Maybe you could create a second field that was "Song Year".  Then create a calculated field that selected the "Song Year" field if it's present, and if it isn't, then the regular year field.

I don't know whether the calculate fields are capable of doing this, but if they were, then you'd be all set.   Just add the dates to the tracks that you want specific dates for and all the others would default to the album date.

kiwi

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 07:04:31 am »

I keep the song year in a separate field to Album Year (since singles etc. come out at different times).

What I do is this:

• When I rip a CD, I use the "Date (Year)" field to store the album year. If I know of other years for songs on that album, I enter them in when ripping in a "Song Year" field (as suggested higher up in this post).
  • For all those that I don't know, and all the albums that were ripped prior to the instituting of this system, I have created a smartlist that allows you to copy the year from the album (should it exist) into the year of the song (should it not exist). This smartlist is based on the following rule:
    Code: [Select]
    [Media Type]=[Audio] -[Date (Year)]=[] [Song Year]=[].
  • Once this you have this list, you can periodically do the batch copy. If you update other songs independantly of ripping or this method, they shouldn't be affected since the smartlist ignores any song that has already been assigned a date.

Hope this helps!

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 07:10:11 am »

Thanks Adam. That may have to do it for me. However... with about 33000 track already imported...it's another task I'm not looking forward to!

What task? It's as easy to copy Year to Album Year for 33000 tracks as it is for one.

Select All->Copy Fields. Done.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2003, 07:12:59 am »

What task? It's as easy to copy Year to Album Year for 33000 tracks as it is for one.

Select All->Copy Fields. Done.

thats what i was trying to say before.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up