INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 client loads local library as well as library from server  (Read 1284 times)

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

I have one PC with MC20 in a bedroom/office and another connected to the hi-fi in the living room. Until now I've run them separately, occasionally syncing music files between the two. But I'm now trying to set up the bedroom/office PC as the server and the hi-fi PC as the client.

It's going quite well. I've set up the hi-fi PC so it automatically loads the music library from the bedroom/office and that works well. The only thing is, when I fire up the hi-fi client, MC20  not only loads the library from the bedroom/office server - about 15 or 20 seconds later, it also loads the local library on its own hard drive! Or at any rate, it loads every single music file on its own hard drive. This is a real pain since virtually all these music files are duplicates of the files it's seeing in the server so every time I click on an album, I get two of every track.

Any idea why this is happening? I thought it was impossible to load two different libraries simultaneously. Maybe I've accidentally discovered a way of doing it!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: MC20 client loads local library as well as library from server
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 11:37:44 am »

I have one PC with MC20 in a bedroom/office and another connected to the hi-fi in the living room. Until now I've run them separately, occasionally syncing music files between the two. But I'm now trying to set up the bedroom/office PC as the server and the hi-fi PC as the client.

It's going quite well. I've set up the hi-fi PC so it automatically loads the music library from the bedroom/office and that works well. The only thing is, when I fire up the hi-fi client, MC20  not only loads the library from the bedroom/office server - about 15 or 20 seconds later, it also loads the local library on its own hard drive! Or at any rate, it loads every single music file on its own hard drive. This is a real pain since virtually all these music files are duplicates of the files it's seeing in the server so every time I click on an album, I get two of every track.

Any idea why this is happening? I thought it was impossible to load two different libraries simultaneously. Maybe I've accidentally discovered a way of doing it!

First, the solution to your problem is to switch to the local library on the client and disable auto-import there.  Once you've done that you shouldn't see this behavior anymore.

There's a bug where the client's auto-import rules "bleed over" to the server for some reason, which results in the server adding in any files in the client's auto-import locations, which typically results in either lots of duplicates or lots of broken links (because the server can't actually access the client's filepaths).  The answer is to disable auto-import on the client.  

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC20 client loads local library as well as library from server
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 12:54:04 pm »

That's fixed it! Thanks very much indeed for coming back so quickly and with such a clear answer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up