INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - CPU upgrade  (Read 1739 times)

jleerigby

OT - CPU upgrade
« on: September 20, 2003, 02:55:33 pm »

Just bought a new CPU (Athlon XP 2700+ T Bred).  Does anyone know if it's feasible to install this without reinstalling the OS?  Having to reinstall the OS would be a real pain in the ****.

My existing system is as follows:

Athlon XP 2200+
Epox 8K5A3 333 Mobo
XP Pro SP1

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
Re: OT - CPU upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 03:18:33 pm »

XP is really good about making those kinds of adjustments but, honestly, you're better off doing a full reinstall.  It's a pain in the ass now but it could save you some serious problems later on if it starts getting flaky.

I recently upgraded from an Athlon XP 2100+ to a Barton 3000 and XP wouldn't even boot up.  It would blue screen during the boot process.  I could've gone into Safe Mode and started fixing things but I figured XP was trying to tell me something.

Good luck and enjoy your new CPU!
Toast goes in the toaster.

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 03:31:09 pm »

Thanks for the advice Rands.  I was hoping you wouldn't say that but I'm not at all surprised.  I wouldn't normally ask such a question as I would prefer to play safe and be sure I have a totally clean and stable system.

I'm just dreading sorting out all those driver updates, tweaks, settings, programs etc, not to mention MC and the 40 view schemes I have set up.

I'm also worried about reactivating my WinXP Pro as it's OEM so may not be too impressed about seeing itself loaded to another HDD and a different CPU.

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 05:35:10 pm »

If you're using the same motherboard, I'd think there's no problem just replacing the CPU.  If you're changing motherboards and the chipset is different, I think you're SOL.  I've had nothing but bad luck getting XP to work with a different chipset.

Scott-

NanjingGuy

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 10:51:30 pm »

The hardware abstraction layer is the problem with changing motherboards. You have to install to get the correct HAL installed. Same for going to multi processors or from multi to single.

But in this case you should be able to just drop in the new CPU and enjoy.

You can make certain it is recognized by simply right clicking My Computer and choosing Properties. The General tab will give you the CPU and RAM info it sees.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 12:18:23 am »

i can be fairly certain that just changing a cpu won't affect much on windows xp.

after all, i have been switching my processor with my frens very often when i was using athlon (overclocking) and pentium 4.

but changing motherboard, ah.. yes.. that's the one that will require a reinstall of os.
Don't Panic!

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 12:51:22 am »

Thanks guys.  I guess I've nothing to lose by giving it a try.  I'll come back and let you know.

nila

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 12:11:19 am »

Export all your registry settings for MC - then u can just re-import them after to get it straight back to how you left it :)

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 01:30:23 am »

Thanks Nila.  I wondered if that would work.  I just didn't want to risk doing anything that would 'confuse' a new install of MC. Some questions:

Have you ever tried it?

Isn't there some correlation between the contents of files on the hard drive and the settings in the registry?

Never done this before - is it just a case of right click> export on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver?  Are there any other keys to export?

How do I import it?  Just double click the file?

Am I right in thinking that I can export the clean install of the registry before doing this so I can just revert back if it doesn't work?

Sorry for all the questions.  You probably get the idea that I'm a bit nervous about this and haven't mucked about with the registry before.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 02:17:07 am »

Gday,

I just (this very minute) put an Athlon XP2500+ into my machine (MSI KT3 Ultra-2). I used to have an older Athlon 1400.

Windows XP has no problems at all, and recognises the new CPU (in System Properties).

As others have said, changing mobos can be more troublesome, although I have done this also, making sure to install all the correct drivers for the new mobo chipset etc. In this instance I'd definately recomend a fresh install however.

Generally, my experience has been that if Windows XP does a BSOD, or just hangs, it's usually because your mobo settings weren't changed to reflect the new CPU properly (viz, FSB speed, etc etc).

Hope this helps...

Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up