INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remove from library and permanently delete from disk  (Read 3936 times)

pr1me

• Recent member
Remove from library and permanently delete from disk
« on: July 05, 2015, 03:03:46 am »

Hello,

Quick Question:

After using "Remove from library and permanently delete from disk", is there a way to recover it? (using recovery software for example)

Thanks

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re:
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:14:11 am »

Are the files stored locally or on a server/nas?
If locally you could try recovery software however depending on how much free space you have and the amount of disk access since you deleted the files it may not be successful. Try Recuva, it's free but install it on to a different drive than the one that had the files. This keeps the chance of overwriting the files to a minimum. If it does find them, again restore to a different disk. A USB drive for example could be used.

pr1me

• Recent member
Re: Remove from library and permanently delete from disk
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 03:39:03 am »

That's what i'm trying to do (Using EaseUs Data Recovery)
All file are on a local drive.
It seems that some files can be recovered,
But some other are problematic, they are there but the size is 0kb while it should be 8gb.
I'm not sure if the deep scan will change that.
Nothing has been written on the disk since the deletion.

4TB vanished lol.
Never expected i would do something stupid like that  ::)

It's gonna take some hours.

Thanks for the help.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 09:52:07 am »

FWIW I've never had much luck with recovery software, especially when the files are larger like audio / video files.  All the tiny little txt files and small images seem to recover  ::)  as mentioned try hard not to access the disk at all

It's worth trying (I've used recuva and easus, deep scan is slow but necessary) but don't hold your breath.  Sincerely Sorry about your luck!  But maybe you'll have a backup next time...I know I learned my lesson the 2Tb hard way

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:02:05 am »

A tip: If you inadvertently do something like this again, but realize you've done it right after clicking the button, go to task manager and kill JRiver's process immediately.  It takes JRiver a few seconds (with 4TB I would expect it to take a few minutes) to delete files, so you may be able to "intercept" and only lose some files.

I was in a similar situation a few months back and managed to stop the process after only losing a few dozen GBs.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 01:00:43 pm »

I've suggested it before, but the "permanently delete from disk" option should really require confirmation of deletion at all times.
The "don't show this message again" preference for that dialog should be removed.

It is less of a problem if the "send to recycle bin" option does not prompt for confirmation (if you've ticked "don't show this message again") but permanent deletion should always require it.
And in certain circumstances sending to the recycle bin may permanently delete the files as well.
Explorer will warn you of this, but I don't recall Media Center having this same warning.

I also seem to recall Theater View deleting items immediately without prompting too, and I would personally prefer to remove the option to delete files from Theater View altogether.
Theater View is for media consumption, not library management.
I don't want to hand someone the remote and have the possibility of them deleting files, intentionally or not.

Make it a preference if there are people who wish to delete files from Theater View, but it should be a preference, and one which is disabled by default in my opinion.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 01:27:25 pm »

I also seem to recall Theater View deleting items immediately without prompting too, and I would personally prefer to remove the option to delete files from Theater View altogether.
Theater View is for media consumption, not library management.
I don't want to hand someone the remote and have the possibility of them deleting files, intentionally or not.

Make it a preference if there are people who wish to delete files from Theater View, but it should be a preference, and one which is disabled by default in my opinion.

This option is already implemented, there is an "allow file deletion" checkbox under theater view options.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 01:40:48 pm »

This option is already implemented, there is an "allow file deletion" checkbox under theater view options.
Fantastic.

pr1me

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 02:49:19 pm »

My HGST desktar Nas 4To arrived yesterday and i managed to recover almost all my files (4 movies could not be recovered out of 500).
I'm in the process of checking them all but so far all files plays correctly, what a relief ;D.

Is there anyway to disable the delete option completely from JRiver?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 07:55:03 am »

Is there anyway to disable the delete option completely from JRiver?
Great to hear you recovered, not a bad result. There are only two ways I can think of...

1. Run in "Party Mode"
2. Make everything "Read Only" in Windows

Neither are ideal. Party Mode goes through the motions, so it appears as if it's doing what you want, but when you exit, nothing is actually applied, and I'm not really sure that the files being read only would prevent them from being deleted.

I've suggested it before, but the "permanently delete from disk" option should really require confirmation of deletion at all times.
The "don't show this message again" preference for that dialog should be removed.
Shift+Delete is all I ever use.
"don't show this message again" was ticked a long, long time ago and I would prefer it to stay that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up