INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is JRiver effectively moving to a subscription model?  (Read 4601 times)

gtandzi

• Recent member
Is JRiver effectively moving to a subscription model?
« on: July 13, 2015, 09:10:58 pm »

I note that:

"Media Center 21 will be released in the coming weeks.  Early builds will resemble MC20, and will improve throughout the year.

Before MC21 is finished, it will be faster, easier to use, more powerful, and better looking."

Wouldn't it be more honest to say that in order to fund a process of continuing improvement, JRiver MC is moving to a subscription model, where you will pay regularly for a series of small changes, rather than purchase a new version whenever we make significant changes?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is JRiver effectively moving to a subscription model?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:29:49 pm »

No. Because when you buy a copy, it doesn't stop working if you don't buy next year's release, which is pretty much the definition of a subscription model.

Not a yearly release cycle, which has been the norm in software development for half-past forever. This is not new. JRiver has worked this way for at least as long as I've been around on this forum (a good 13 years or so). Jim has explained their methods previously here, if you're curious:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81987.0

If you don't want to upgrade now for a discount, and would rather wait for something substantial, then don't. That's fine. If you want to participate in the development a bit, and get a small discount over the normal upgrade price, then you can now. If you want a stable-and-unchanging product, buy them at the end of the development cycle and sit on it for a year. Your choice.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 05:03:51 am »

Why do people niggle , its beyond me  ?

For less than $20 you keep abreast of all that the JRiver Team do . They are one of the most responsive teams I have come across, give ema suggestion and sometimes it appears within days , try that with Microsoft.

Try buying subscriptions to some other software tools , as a retired developer I had annual subs for some Visual Studio add ins going up as far as $125 per annum !!

Pay up gracefully and keep a leading edge product leading the edge

Cheers

Mike

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 10:19:46 am »

:) :)

+1

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 12:55:43 pm »

Not everyone is on the same budget.

So I think some questioning is reasonable, especially given that there are freeware alternatives.

It might help if update purchase announcements included the information that JRiver is a small company (rather than a giant corporation) - and purchases help to give employment to bright developers.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 12:58:18 pm »

Why do people niggle , its beyond me  ?

For less than $20 you keep abreast of all that the JRiver Team do . They are one of the most responsive teams I have come across, give ema suggestion and sometimes it appears within days , try that with Microsoft.

Try buying subscriptions to some other software tools , as a retired developer I had annual subs for some Visual Studio add ins going up as far as $125 per annum !!

Cheers

Mike
+1

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:40:11 am »

Why do people niggle , its beyond me  ?

Cheers

Mike

I dont think its that difficult to understand, people have different budgets and different needs, for some MC are great value, but there will always be others who dont think the program is worth it. And the people in between, who finds MC to be just barely worth the money for them, as with every other product in the world

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:40:31 am »

I dont think its that difficult to understand, people have different budgets and different needs, for some MC are great value, but there will always be others who dont think the program is worth it. And the people in between, who finds MC to be just barely worth the money for them, as with every other product in the world

I agree, generally.

However, the core question of this thread was "Is JRiver selling MC using a subscription pricing model?"  The answer to that question is no. The entire idea of a subscription model is that:

* You pay a recurring fee (usually monthly, but sometimes yearly).
* Your software is kept up to date as long as you keep paying the recurring fee.
* If you stop paying the fee, your software is removed and inaccessible (sometimes with a small grace period, more often not).

MC is not sold via that model.  So, question asked and answered.  I'm going to close this thread.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up