INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unassigned?  (Read 2787 times)

MichaelF

• Recent member
Unassigned?
« on: July 11, 2015, 10:23:39 am »

My music files are all stored on an external disc which is networked to my two computers. When I update my library computer 1 shows everything perfectly but computer 2 shows a lot of unassigned files, lacking artists or album name etc. However all the unassigned files have the complete tag information.

Why is one computer not able to find the information.
I have run the update several times but the files are still unassigned.
I have uninstalled media center version 20 and re-installed it. No change.
Any ideas??

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unassigned?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:48:13 am »

If you are using MC on two different computers, with the same files, and NOT using the Client/Server features of MC, I think I know what's going on.

In this case, you are relying on the files as the repository for all metadata changes you make (album, artist, etc).  MC has it's own database for metadata that's stored outside of the files.  There's a setting that tells MC to write as many metadata tags as it can to your files.  Files only support certain tags, so you should get most everything, but anything non-standard (like Composer for example) might not get transferred to the files.

The setting to make MC write tags to files is:  Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update Tags when file info changes

Do this on the computer that you are using to make changes.  If you make changes from both, it gets trickier.

You will probably want to manually tell MC to write all tags to get everything started.  Go to Tools > Library Tools > Update Tags (From Library) .  That will write the internal library (database) to the files.

At the other computer, where you want to read the changes that were made to the files, you might want to manually sync that too:  Tools > Library Tools > Update Library (from tags).  To make the updates happen automatically in the future, you'll need to tell auto import to look for changes:  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Tasks > Update For External Changes

Good luck to you.

Brian.

MichaelF

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 07:18:32 am »

Thanks for the response. Hopefully that should solve the problem.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:47:46 am »

I forgot to suggest:  Please make a library backup on both machines before you start.  That way you can roll back to the backups if you get something messed up with your tags or library.

Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up