INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When display turns off audio hesitates every few seconds  (Read 2073 times)

crisnee

• World Citizen
When display turns off audio hesitates every few seconds
« on: July 14, 2015, 07:32:39 pm »

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile but the problem has thwarted me so far. Any ideas anyone?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: When display turns off audio hesitates every few seconds
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 11:21:46 am »

whats the display setup?

i know that if i'm using the HDMI out (through the graphics card) and enable/disable a display to use another, the audio will pause a second.  in my case i'm sure it's just the graphics card sorting itself out

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 11:38:45 am »

It's a laptop and there's no display setup other than the power option which allows the display to be shutoff after a certain amount of time.

It hesitates and stumbles every few seconds as long as the display is off. As soon as I hit a key or touch the mouse the problem disappears (as the display comes back on). I could of course set the display to never shutoff but I really don't want to do that, especially when it comes to playing music at bed time.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 01:26:13 pm »

This is a well known problem with HDMI audio.  When the display turns off it screws up the HDMI handshaking, which often results in music playback stopping altogether or stuttering.  Some HDMI outputs handle it better than others. 

A partial solution is that JRiver has an option to disable turning the display off during music playback.  That's what I do.  The display still turns off when I'm not using it, but it stays one when I'm listening to music.

If you really want to fully fix the issue, the conventional wisdom is to use a device like an HDMI Detective or Dr. HDMI, but some folks have reported good success by modifying their HDMI cable pins, or using cheap HDMI splitters to solve the problem. 

If you google "HDMI audio cuts off when TV turns off" you will find literally hundreds of threads from all over the internet, including on this forum: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84530.0

It's basic limitation of how HDMI works and how your specific HDMI hardware handles EDID dropouts. 

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 07:31:21 pm »

That may be true about HDMI, but I'm not using HDMI, unless you're saying I'm using it unbeknownst to me.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 07:50:49 pm »

No, sorry, I thought you had your laptop plugged into a TV (because the HDMI issue is so, so common). 

If you're experiencing dropouts when the screen turns off, I'd bet even money it's not related to the screen, but to a different power management setting that's throttling power to the audio device on the same schedule.  Try tinkering with your USB, PCI, and processor state power settings.  If all else fails and it really is related to your screen, the option I mentioned above to keep the display on while music is playing is still a partial fix (the display would still turn off once the music was over).

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:57 pm »

The thing is I have all the options you mention set at full power no matter what else goes on, so they shouldn't change when the screen goes off. I do have the option in MC20 set as you mention, but it doesn't seem like one should have to use a work around for this issue.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up