INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio stuttering  (Read 5702 times)

Hubird

• Recent member
Audio stuttering
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:18:20 am »

I have a slight problem that happens all the time but I am not quite sure exactly how to reproduce it.

I'll do my best to explain and if there is anything I can do to help narrow down the cause of the problem let me know.

It seems that the first time / often when I play a music file (happens on FLAC and mp3 files) JRiver MC stutters for a spilt second (repeats / skips an instant) at the start on the track. If I stop and then play the file again it does not happen. It does not happen in XBMC, telling MC20 to play everything from RAM does not help, this has persisted across several versions (currently on 20.0.131).

Not sure but changing from WASAPI to Kernel Streaming MIGHT be one way to work around the problem (but KODI / XBMC is set to use WASAPI).

Win7x64
NAD M51 DAC

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio stuttering - first play only
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:24:35 am »

Maybe your hard disk went to sleep and it takes a while to mechanically pick up speed. Windows (or the hard disk controller) may implement a read-through cache whereby bits of recently used files are buffered in RAM, so that on a second play it just reads the data from the cache instead waiting for the hard disk itself..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Hubird

• Recent member
Re: Audio stuttering - first play only
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 11:33:45 am »

I thought of that but unfortunately that's not it.

I have just done a little more testing, I can get it to happen on a very regular basis, drives would be well and truly awake.

See link to a video I took, not great quality but shows the problem (listen for the stutter).

My PC is more than up to the task

i7-3770, 8GB RAM, OS on an SSD, music on separate 2TB drive.

I guess it could be my anti-virus software (Panda) but I doubt it, will check and let you know but I still think it is worth letting you know even if it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Qb-8X4rFGXRTVHeVgyNURjWGc/view?usp=sharing

Hubird

• Recent member
Re: Audio stuttering
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 11:51:55 pm »

Anyone else have this problem?

Any of the devs willing to look into it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:56:54 am »

Did you uninstall the antivirus software?

Hubird

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:13:14 pm »

Removing Panda might have helped but more testing is required before I can confidently say.

It is worth noting that I have never experienced this problem using Kodi, I don't think blaming Panda AV would be an acceptable 'solution'.

Hubird

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:25:39 pm »

Removing Panda did not eliminate the problem.

A NAD M51 owner on head-fi.org seems to be experiencing the same problem, see link below.

Would be nice if we could get some love on this issue.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602771/nad-m51-direct-digital-dac-impressions/1455#post_11790655

bsuther

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 01:19:36 pm »

I get stuttering when using MC 20 with a Benchmark DAC 1 HDR. It happens every time, and I have rebooted several times to no effect. I am new to MC 20 with the MacBook Pro and have done no adjustments yet, although I have used MC 19 with a Lenovo T 60 running Windows XP for several years now with the same DAC and have got very good results, except for several instances of the program freezing when using it with the JRemote ap on an iPad. Any help or suggestions for adjustments anyone? Thanks!

Hubird

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 06:37:19 am »

FYI

I have heard this happen on anther system, completely different hardware. The only solution I found not using WASAPI  (I'm currently using ASIO).
Pages: [1]   Go Up