INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Media Center default to playing videos in a detached window?  (Read 2087 times)

Feldherren

I have a rather large monitor, and prefer watching videos in a smaller and separate window I can move around the screen, but to do so I appear to have to begin playing the video, have it start full-screen, hit escape to bring back the desktop and application, find the video minimised somewhere in the application (standard view: somewhere near the action window... tab-thing, in the lower left, and usually closed because I had another tab-thing open down there, in which case I need to open the display there), and then detach it, which after all this brings the video up in a window, as desired.

Is there any way to get Media Center to start playing videos in a detached window, instead of full-screen as the default behaviour appears to be?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can Media Center default to playing videos in a detached window?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:13:32 am »

MC will use the detached display whenever it is open. You can automatically open it if you want with a simple script, but then you'd have the black detached display window open all the time on the monitor whenever MC is running.

I think you'd be better off using Display View restored down to windowed mode.  You may not realize it, but MC's Display View isn't always fullscreen.  See the Display View article on the wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Display_View

If you "restore" it to a window, it'll remember the size, and use that from then on.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Feldherren

Re: Can Media Center default to playing videos in a detached window?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:45:07 pm »

I don't run Media Center all the time, as it's really just something for organising my collection of videos. The problem with the display is it seems to just take the size of the window, and assumes you want it full-screen if you have Media Center maximised, which is not itself full-screen. And I'm using Media Center because it doesn't default to some annoying-to-use full-screen replacement . Whilst I can restore it down to a window, that makes the main interface of MC that size, too. I literally just want the detached display to be default.

The script is pretty much what I want if Media Center doesn't have support for this in itself, however. Thank you for that suggestion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up