INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Install  (Read 1590 times)

danhardison

• Recent member
Portable Install
« on: July 26, 2015, 07:30:52 pm »

I want to have MC + all my music on an external hard drive so I can plug it in to any Windows machine and be good to go.. I believe that is the purpose of the Portable install?

So when I tried that, it first made me install it on my C: drive. A bit annoying, but fair enough. I did that, then did the portable install, then uninstalled it from my Windows machine (with external HDD removed to make sure it didn't take anything off that).

All went well, and is working as I hoped, but today I got a message saying there is an application update. When I click install, it says "Windows cannot find C:\Windows\System32\MC20.exe"

What should I do? I don't want to have it installed on the C: drive of my work computer if possible.

Dan

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Portable Install
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:31:04 pm »

The portable installation is designed to be an auxiliary install that you can carry around with you. To set up a portable installation, you need to have one computer with a "standard install" with your License enabled, which is used to create and update the portable installation.

It will be challenging to use MC's Portable mode as your only installation. Each time you want to update the portable install, you'll need to (I believe, at least officially):

1. Install it normally on a PC.
2. Install your License on that PC (if this was removed or never licensed there before).
3. Use that PC to create/update the portable installation.
4. Uninstall the copy from the "regular" PC.

If you have a computer at home, you'd be best installing your copy there, and using it to create the portable copy (which you use at work, and whatnot). That's how it is designed to work, and otherwise you'll be "fighting the system".
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

danhardison

• Recent member
Re: Portable Install
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »

Thanks glynor. That makes sense.
Cheers
Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up