INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some easy ways to Search and Play your music (for Andi)  (Read 1659 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Some easy ways to Search and Play your music (for Andi)
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:59:57 pm »

In the feature request thread Andi asked for an easier interface and asked specific questions.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98627.150

I'm going to try to answer how to do those in JRiver today because what he's asked for really isn't difficult at all.  It just requires a little knowledge.

For example, if i want to play the music from all the albums of one artist in random, then i have to find a way of setting up the user interface (and I didn't find that yet).

This is really a matter of understanding how JRiver works.  Anything you add to Playing Now can be shuffled with the "reshuffle" menu command (or hot key).   Here's an easy way of doing this:

1.  In the left Navigation Pane, click Audio > Artists.
2.  Find the artist you want by scrolling or searching.
3.  Right click on the artist and select More Play Options > Play (Shuffled)

This will replace Playing Now with all of the songs by that artist and shuffled them into a random order.  You can go into Playing Now and move them around if you want to.  Or right click and select "Reshuffle" or "Reshuffle Remaining" if you want a new randomized order.

You can also add other artists to the mix in a similar way.  Just select the album or artist you want, and do Add To Playing Now.  Once they are in Playing Now, you can manually move them around if you want.  Or right click on Playing Now and select Reshuffle Remaining to mix all of the songs that haven't played yet, including the ones from the artist you just added.

The Playing Now is one of the best and most flexible tools in MC.  You should definitely play around with it.  It's got so many great features to let you order your playback queue in any way you want.  

I'm going to take your next question to the next post.

Brian.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some easy ways to Search and Play your music (for Andi)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:08:22 pm »

Next question:

Setting up panels, for instance to skip movies under 40 minutes, is complicated. It is more geared towards mathematically skilled people then to the average user.

This one is really easy!  Go to a Panes view that you like.  Type or cut and paste this simple expression into the Search box at the upper right:

Code: [Select]
[duration]=>=40m
Change the 40 to whatever number of minutes you want.

Would you like to make a permanent Panes view that does this all by itself?  It's a little more work, but it's still quite easy.

1.  Build a Panes view with whatever panes you like along the top.  Or just use a default Panes view and copy it to a new name.
2.  Right click on the view and select Customize View...
3.  Go to the middle part (Settings) > Included Files > Set Rules for file display
4.  Under rules, add a rule. 
5.  In that rule click the box on the left and select Duration.
6.  In the box to the right of it select "is greater than or equal to".
7.  In the next box to the right type 40m.  That's 40 minutes.  Use any number of minutes you like.
8.  Click OK in each of the dialog boxes to save.

I've written it out as steps so you can easily follow it.  That makes it look like a lot of steps.  But it's really easy; trust me!  You can set this up in less than 3 minutes and once you do, it's there until you decide to get rid of it.  Or just use the search box for quick things.

JRiver does 3 or 4 things that other players don't do well.  These things you've asked about are two of it's GREAT features:

1.  Advanced Play Queue.
2.  Great customizable views, including saved searches (or filters if you want to think of it that way).

I hope this helps you some.

Brian.

Andres Loor

• Recent member
Re: Some easy ways to Search and Play your music (for Andi)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 08:17:55 am »

Thank you so much Brian!
Rightclicking the artist: brilliant
Thanks for the second post too about setting up rules.
MC is my choice for a library & player, I think it is excellent in many ways, still a bit difficult.
Thanks very much again
Andi
Pages: [1]   Go Up