INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-channel Plug-in  (Read 5904 times)

shoshaw

• Recent member
Multi-channel Plug-in
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:17:31 am »

Greetings.  I work for an audio company that creates audio processing algorithms.  We create them in VST format for early audition.  A recent VST creates multi-channel surround sound (including height channels) from stereo and multi-channel source material.  When I load the VST, it seems to run fine and all the controls are in place.  They, too, seem to function properly.  My question is this:  If I purchase and install an multi-channel, digital audio interface (like an M-Audio M-track 8), how would I map the VST output channels to the hardware audio channels?  Would MC support 14 channels of output?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Multi-channel Plug-in
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:19:29 am »

MC does support whatever channels that the device has.

shoshaw

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:18 am »

Thanks.  So does MC have a channel mapping menu that would become active once the HW is added?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:54:18 am »

I can't help on setup, but there are plenty of people who could help on the board devoted to sound cards.  Try an advanced search there.  Here's an example of what you can find.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55607.0

rlebrette

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 11:35:20 am »

;;   
b

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 12:01:56 pm »

height channels as in an immersive audio (atmos, dts:x, auro) style upmixer?

shoshaw

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:53:04 pm »

Yes.  2, 5.1 or 7.1 in.  12.1 or 14.1 out.  Adding height LCR, Sides and Rears.  For 2 channel inputs, LCR mains, sides and rears are also processed.   

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 03:00:15 pm »

In JRiver's DSP (Ctrl + D), you can set the Output Format for up to 32 channels. The audio device needs to have an ASIO driver for channel counts higher than 8 and must support whatever channels you need.

In JRiver, the audio is decoded prior to Output Format and when output channels are set to 8 or more will output in L, R, C, Sub, RL, RR, SL, SR order. This means they will enter the VST plugin in this order.

You can order the various DSP modules by dragging and dropping. If you want to change the order going into the VST plugin, you can drag Parametric Equalizer before the VST plugin and use the Mix Channels DSP in it to route channels as necessary.

If you drag the Parametric Equalizer 2 after your VST plugin, you can then use Mix Channels to route the output channels as necessary.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 03:02:42 pm »

Yes.  2, 5.1 or 7.1 in.  12.1 or 14.1 out.  Adding height LCR, Sides and Rears.  For 2 channel inputs, LCR mains, sides and rears are also processed.   
will this be publicly/commercially available?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 03:21:45 pm »

If I purchase and install a multi-channel, digital audio interface (like an M-Audio M-track 8) . . .
mattkhan and I both use the MOTU 1248. With the MOTU you can also do the routing in its drivers (accessible with a browser) and save different routing schemes. The MOTO drivers also let one route inputs back to outputs completely digitally. You can route the output from JRiver to a DAW or any other software. You can even loop several software input/outputs together. If you only need hardware outputs, the MOTU 24ao is very reasonably priced for 24 outputs.

shoshaw

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 07:23:05 am »

Great stuff, guys.  Thank you!

To answer your question, our algorithms are packaged in OEM and/or commercially available products sold under a variety of brand names.  What I'm currently working on with MC is a quick and easy way to evaluate them in a "reference room" setup.  Our current solution involves running specific audio files through processing and then playing them back.  The MC solution will allow us to select source material in real time and play it back. 

Again, thanks for the suggestions.  Keep 'em coming!
Pages: [1]   Go Up