INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP setting to resample files to 16Bit 44.1Khz  (Read 4356 times)

MartinW

• Recent member
  • It's better to burn out then to fade away
DSP setting to resample files to 16Bit 44.1Khz
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:24:49 am »

Hello There,
as I am only using FLAC files for playing in MC, there are also a lots of 24 Bit files in the bibliothek. But my HeadUnit Radio (JVC) in my car is only able to play up to 16 Bit and 44.1 Khz.
I alraedy found the setting to smaple down all synced files for the USB stick down to 44.1 Khz, but not to resample it to 16 Bit!
I played around with some DBpoweramp settings, and it works fine, quality good enough for my old (22 year  ;D ) car! But I want to use all this in one program, prefered MC! I could not import the DLL's into MC from DBpoweramp.

Any ideas on this??

Regards, Martin
-------------------
Cambridge Audio azur 651 A; Dali Rubicon 8, MusicHall mmf 2.2 with Grado Silver, Cambridge Audio 651 P, Focal Spirit Classic
-------------------
-------------------
AVM Pre-Amplifier V30, AVM Mono Amp M30, Dali Rubicon 8, Thorens TD160 MK II with Hana SH, Merason Frerot DAC, Expsure CD 2020, Focal Spirit Classic
-------------------

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP setting to resample files to 16Bit 44.1Khz
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:55:21 am »

But my HeadUnit Radio (JVC) in my car is only able to play up to 16 Bit and 44.1 Khz.

What format does your JVC play that you are trying to convert to?  I ask because almost no car stereos play FLAC (which you say your library is).   If your target for your JVC is MP3, you shouldn't need to convert the bit depth.  If your car stereo *does* play FLAC, first WOW!

Second, when using the Handheld Sync feature of MC, I don't see a feature to convert bit depth from 24 to 16.  Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any option for that.  That surprised me.

If you were to do "Convert Format" on the files, before the sync you can use that to convert bit depth.  I can show you where that option is if you choose to use that method instead.

Brian.

MartinW

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:20:13 am »

Brian, thx a lot, the car stereo player does support FLAC files but seems not to support as I tested more than 16Bit 44.1Khz. It is a JVC KD-X320BT

Second, when using the Handheld Sync feature of MC, I don't see a feature to convert bit depth from 24 to 16.  Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any option for that.  That surprised me.
Thats acually the point, I'm able to reduce to 44.1 Khz, but Sample rate still stays at e.g. 24 Bit. I konow that I can convert whilst syncing with a handheld device to e.g. MP3 320KBits, but I don't want to loose quality on my HighRes files as less I can.

There is in some other programms a DSP setting "Reduce Sample Rate" to 16 BIT, and then it works, but I do not want to have double files in my bibliothek, it should be ideally convertzed on-the-fly.
-------------------
AVM Pre-Amplifier V30, AVM Mono Amp M30, Dali Rubicon 8, Thorens TD160 MK II with Hana SH, Merason Frerot DAC, Expsure CD 2020, Focal Spirit Classic
-------------------

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:01:39 am »

Ok, I understand.  VERY cool that your JVC plays FLAC!  That's one of less than 10 players I personally have heard of that do so.  :)

I only know how to convert from 24 to 16 bits using MC's "convert format" tool.  I don't think it's possible to convert "on the fly" via the Handheld Sync tool.  At least I don't personally know how.  I don't represent JRiver; I'm just a customer trying to help.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

DarkSpace

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:22:18 am »

If it's just about DSP settings, then add a Parametric Equalizer -> Bitdepth Simulator (16 bit, with Dithering) at the end of your DSP chain.

Now, for your use-case, this may well be insufficient (or it may not, see next paragraph), but I personally use this for a pair of wireless headphones I've connected via ASIO. I have a USB->Coaxial/Optical converter in-between to allow me to send data to the headphone transmitter, but from the spec sheet I know that it only transmits 48kHz/16bit. Since for ASIO, I can only choose between the full 32 bit and the padded 24-in-32 bit options (no complaints here, by the way, it's my case that's unusual), I decided to make it transmit only 16 meaningful bits this way, and it works (that is, I hear a difference between with and without Bitdepth Simulator).

What I'm hoping that this will accomplish for you is for MC to encode the data to FLAC, as usual, and then to notice that, while it encoded the file as 24 bit, it actually contains no more than 16 bit of audio data throughout the file. If it does notice , I hope that it will fix the FLAC header to specify a bitdepth of 16 bit instead of 24 bit, and possibly (though I don't think it's going to be necessary) the frame headers as well. It's worth a try, but do note that I don't actually know.
What also might happen is that your player plays the files just fine even though the header says that they are 24 bit, as long as there are only 16 bits of audio data to decode. I doubt it, though.

MartinW

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:06:28 am »

Thx to you for your replies..
@Brian: Yes, the receiver ist real cool, and the price in Germany is only 80,- €!!

@DarkSpace:
If it's just about DSP settings, then add a Parametric Equalizer -> Bitdepth Simulator (16 bit, with Dithering) at the end of your DSP chain.
I didn't saw that setting, I'll give it a try, will give response later. Cost some time to copy and convert 64 GB :-)
-------------------
-------------------

DarkSpace

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:14:47 am »

Well, it's your business, but have you considered / is it feasible to convert only a fraction of your library, since it's for testing purposes only? When you succeed, you can still convert the rest, after all  ;)

And you're welcome, of course.

MartinW

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:18:54 am »

Yes, you're right, but it is only for mobile usage needed, riding the car!

I will never downzise my 24 Bit files to some 16 Bit or so, because it sound a lot better in HighRes!!
-------------------
-------------------

DarkSpace

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 02:08:05 pm »

I'm sorry, my wording above was unclear. I fully understood that you want to keep the original files. What I meant was:

You don't know whether the result of any method you may try will be successful (i.e. will it play?) or not.
Therefore, to convert all the 9001 files in your library, wasting away days of processing time, simply is not worth the effort. (I exaggerate, but you get my meaning.)
In fact, if you simply want to test whether a specific method works, it is enough to process only a few files that wouldn't play earlier, and then try playing them. If the processed files still don't play, you can immediately move on to the next method you want to try, and save yourself time.
If the processed files play, your testing is done, and you can convert all the 9001 files in your library. This time, because you already know that the files will play when you're done, the days that it takes you to convert them have been well spent, rather than wasted.

Remember: For now, (I think) your aim is to find a method that allows you to convert your files into a format understood by the player. Only once you have found such a method, your aim is to actually convert your library!
Pages: [1]   Go Up