INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAD Digital Tuner C446 compatible?  (Read 2629 times)

MercedeR

NAD Digital Tuner C446 compatible?
« on: August 09, 2015, 05:51:29 am »

Hi, I'm new to this world and feel a bit lost.
To make a long story short, my shelves are full with CDs and I recently decided to move to digital.
Without being a 'purist' I'd still like to get a sound quality close to what I get from my CDs.
I read a lot about ripping CDs, decided to go for the FLAC format and I think I successfully passed that stage.
Now I'm trying to play these files to my HiFi system.
I thought it would be the easy  part... but the more I read the more confused I'm getting, and I still haven't managed to listen to my files (other than through my laptop's speakers  :()

I would like to start with a very simple configuration and expand later if it works.
Here's what I'm trying to do: use my laptop to store and control the music, and send it with DLNA to my NAD C446 which is supposed to be DLNA compliant.

So I turn the NAD in receiver mode
My Windows 8 laptop sees it (that's the only good news)
With Windows Media Center I manage to 'PlayTo' the NAD C446 but it stops after a couple of seconds, shows an 'unexpected error' message and moves to the next track
After more reading I found JRiver and downloaded the trial version, thinking that my problems were solved...
JMC sees indeed my NAD C446 but can't play any file on it: it also skips to the next after 3-5 seconds (without any error message)

So I'm wondering, am I missing something or is my NAD C446 simply not compatible?

I hope someone patient will help me with my first steps here  :)
Tx

MercedeR

Re: NAD Digital Tuner C446 compatible?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:25:01 am »

short version of my question

I'm trying to stream FLAC files from JMC running on a laptop to a NAD C446, using DLNA.

The NAD C446 appears in JMC, but when playing, every file is skipped after a few seconds, and no sound.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

MercedeR

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:13:56 am »

Nobody? Really??

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:13:06 pm »

Either the file isn't supported or the current MC settings don't work correctly or the device works for some DLNA functions, but not as a renderer.

MercedeR

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:46:49 pm »

Thanks Jim.
According to NAD's product description:
- 'The C 446 supports all the popular digital formats— MP3, FLAC, WMA, WAV, and AAC—and ...'
- 'Thanks to UPnP Digital Audio Renderer (DAR) technology, you can browse, create playlists, and change songs from anywhere in your home using a variety of networked devices'

So I'm left with
current MC settings don't work correctly

Can you elaborate on that one? Which settings could be wrong?
Pages: [1]   Go Up