INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple instances of the same file  (Read 1686 times)

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
Multiple instances of the same file
« on: July 29, 2015, 01:43:07 am »

Hello,

I have multiple entries of the same files in MC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For example
I have

track1 and
track1
in MC. When I locate the external file I get the same path and file name

X:\t\music\classic\Artist1\track1.mp3
and
X:\t\music\classic\Artist1\track1.mp3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess it was created by the Import function. I don't have a BackUp that I could use without messing with the work I have done the last couple of weeks.

I have created a Smartlist finding all the duplicates of Filename (path). I have tried sorting the files in different ways (there is no Playlist sorting), so that I could use the Remove duplicates of Filename (path) function to remove the duplicates. But it seems that I can't get only the files that haven't been added to Playlists to be removed...

How do I safely remove all the duplicated entries without deleting tracks that are already used in Playlists?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple instances of the same file
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:23:15 am »

There is already a built-in "Find Duplicates" in the smart lists. See Playlists>Smartlists>Audio-Task-Possible Duplicates.
You can then delete the files you don't want (right click on it and select delete).

In the example you provided, the file name, format/file type, and file path are the same. Therefore this is not a duplicate file, it is the same file. It is just being displayed twice. So you don't want to delete it. To confirm check (view) the other file properties such as bitrate, duration, and filename.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple instances of the same file
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:28:32 am »

I guess it was created by the Import function.

You should try including the column [Date Imported] in your duplicates search. If you can sort them by import date, you can probably pretty easily find the ones imported later.

I don't have a BackUp that I could use without messing with the work I have done the last couple of weeks.

MC makes automatic backups every couple of days or so.  You really should have an automatic backup you can use if necessary.  Even if you don't, this is a good time to say that you should make a backup before you try doing any deletions from MC's Library.  That way you can go back if you do anything you really didn't want to do.

How do I safely remove all the duplicated entries without deleting tracks that are already used in Playlists?

Do you have exactly 2 copies of everything that's duplicated?  Do you care about which copy it keeps in terms of the import date?  For example, if it picked half from the original import date and half from a newer import date would that be ok with you?  If yes to all of these questions, I think I have a procedure that will work for you.

But, as long as you haven't added any of the newly imported copies to playlists, you really should just be able to sort by Date Imported and delete the newer ones.  Assuming they all got imported at once.  Actually, that makes me think that you should probably figure out why you have two copies first.  Otherwise, the problem might come back right?

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up