INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow MC  (Read 1228 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Slow MC
« on: September 18, 2003, 07:22:32 am »

The file list doesn't update until about 1 second after you stop making selection changes in the panes.  Could that be the lag?

Yes that seems to be it.

I guess it's something you added recently to make it more responsive for people who click a lot in the panes?

Your forced 1 second delay when clicking on something in the panes is making browsing artists a PITA as (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) I wait for all the thumbnails to appear before deciding on what to listen to ... so you have to add that time overhead as well.

So my user experience with MC on my 1.6ghz PC ends up being:

click on an artist
wait 2 seconds to see I want to listen to any of the albums in there
click on another artist
click on another artist
etc
etc

So, Is there a registry/option setting that I can change to set the delay to zero so I can listen to music as quickly as possible without MC holding me up?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Attn Matt: Slow MC
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 07:41:26 am »

Maybe a good solution would be to make the "get results after stopping typing in the search" and the "get results after stopping clicking in the panes" smart so they adapt based on how fast it is.

With 100,000 or more files, it takes long enough to collect and sort everything that a delay is good.

With 20,000 or less files, the delay isn't necessary.  In fact, it feels really cool with the delay gone because everything seems so fast.

We'll give this a shot in one of the next couple of builds.  Let us know what you think.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 07:53:53 am »

(posted here since the other thread was locked)

For what it's worth, I agree with Rhino that MC seems slower these days. I'm glad to see that JRiver is looking into it, though. I have faith that they'll figure it out. Matt's proposed solution sounds like it could work out, and since I'm in that sub-20,000 files group, I'm looking forward to the change (if and when it occurs).

And for the record... I was only kidding around in the other thread. Humor is something I try to inject into every situation, both here and in my professional life. If it sometimes clashes with other people's senses of good taste, then I apologize for that, but understand that it's never going to stop.

But if you'll excuse me... I'm off to the bank now to cash Jim's check.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 08:03:46 am »

>> I'm off to the bank now to cash Jim's check.
I only Get Peanuts

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 08:15:37 am »

Next build won't update the panes and the list in stages.  It makes the program feel slower instead of faster like it was intended.

The build should be out within a few hours.  Let us know...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up