INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which MC folders and files should I backup?  (Read 2147 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Which MC folders and files should I backup?
« on: July 30, 2015, 03:42:14 am »

Hi. I am about to do some changes on my desktop, and have to make sure I've got everything I need for reinstall if anything should go wrong.
My music files (mp3s etc) are all backed up on an external HD, so are my automatic library backups.
So now I wonder if there are any other folder or files - most likely stored on my C: partition - which I also should copy before I do anything more?

Thanks in advance.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Which MC folders and files should I backup?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:48:07 am »

That's all you need for MC.
If you end up damaging the MC installation, you can reinstall it then reload your last library backup.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:23:16 am »

Thanks. That's what I thought/hoped. So the backup includes my tags, then? (Yes, I have to be 200 % sure here. :) )

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 06:52:38 am »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 06:55:49 am »

Thanks. I'll jump into it now!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:12:26 am »

In case you use more than one library, keep in mind that each library is stored in a separate backup file.

Normally these are created automatically when the libraries are used, but if you always change between the libraries the automatic system might not have enough time to work properly. Check that you have archived a separate, up-to-date backup file for each library.

You can always create a new backup file of a certain library if needed (load the library and do: File > Library > Back Up Library...).

You may also have
- cover art files on the C: drive in %AppData%\J River\Media Center 20\Cover Art .
  (this is the default location, check the setting in Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art)
- additional components like plugins or skins in the main program location, but you probably know this if you have installed any.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:30:42 am »

That is a good point about the "Cover Art".

I create a new folder called Cover Art as subfolder to my "Documents" and have MC store everything there. It's easy to find and backup when needed - plus its part of the automatic Windows backup routine.

I wonder if JRiver would benefit from changing to the default location of "Cover Art" to a User defined location (perhaps a place User selects during installation) so that User could determine to backup with his/her media files and then not worry about losing anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up