INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird question about multiple artists (VA)  (Read 2331 times)

MrVegas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Love the music, live the Word
Weird question about multiple artists (VA)
« on: September 15, 2003, 05:07:42 pm »

I have a couple hundred albums of music in my personal MC library... probably 120 or so artists or groups recorded these albums.  My favorite media library  "view" is "artist/album"

Occasionally, I will rip an album with multiple (various) artists, e.g. Great Hits of the 80's might have 25 songs by 25 different artists.  But I don't want these 25 artists (with only 1 song each) to be listed under my media library view of "artist/album."

I guess I'm wondering if there's any way to only list artists that I have whole albums for.

?

_/_/_/_/_/_/
Audio nerd

MachineHead

Re: Weird question about multiple artists (VA)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 05:18:02 pm »

Creating a view scheme will usually work for this. I put all various artists in a seperate folder of the main drive and make a view scheme for them as well. Sorted by album it works quite well.

Marko

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 10:55:53 pm »

Did you already try "Album Artist (auto)/album" as a view scheme?

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 11:14:01 pm »

Did you already try "Album Artist (auto)/album" as a view scheme?

I have a view scheme group based on [Album Artist (auto)], Album and 2 sub schemes that hang off it.  One is set up to for only single artist and the other for only multiple artists.  If you want to set this up but don't know how post back here.

MrVegas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 01:02:49 pm »

JLee:

That sounds great, but I don't know how to do it.  Can you provide the details?

_/_/_/_/_/_/
Audio nerd

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 01:29:39 pm »

I was kinda hoping you wouldn't say that!  Ok here goes:

Right click Media Library> Add View Scheme

Uncheck Auto Name and call it 'Albums'

In the files section at the bottom click the little arrow then Add Modifier, Sorting.  Type the following: [Album], [Track #]. OK, OK.

Right click your new view scheme called 'Albums' and Add View Scheme.

Uncheck Auto Name and call it 'Single Artist'

Uncheck Honor Parent View Scheme search strings (If you are not a newbie and want to know why see the 'Slow Areas of 9.1' thread).

In the files section at the bottom click the little arrow then Add rule, Advanced, Album artist (auto).  Click the Multiple artists check box at the top, then change the option at the bottom (Do what with selections) to 'Exclude'.

In the files section at the bottom click the little arrow again then add modifier, sorting.  Type the following: [Album], [Track #]. OK, OK.

Right click your new view scheme called 'Albums' and Add View Scheme.

Uncheck Auto Name and call it 'Multiple Artists'

Uncheck Honor Parent View Scheme search strings.

In the files section at the bottom click the little arrow then Add rule, Advanced, Album artist (auto).  Click the Multiple artists check box at the top. This time leave the option at the bottom (Do what with selections) to 'Include'.

In the files section at the bottom click the little arrow again then add modifier, sorting.  Type the following: [Album], [Track #]. OK, OK.

----------------------

Now you need to add the panes so you can navigate your new schemes easily.  This is what I recommend:

Click the Albums view scheme then click the bar at the top of the library that says 'Empty, Click here to configure'.  Select Add Column> Advanced> Album Artist (Auto).

Click on the bar again at the top of the new Album Artist (Auto) pane and select Column properties.  Choose 'Add a grouping' and a value of 6.

Follow the above 2 steps to add another Album Artist (Auto) pane to the right but this time use a value of 1 for the grouping level.

Add yet another Album Artist Auto pane to the right - this time without setting any grouping.

----------------------

Now select your 'Single Artist' View scheme and repeat the above to add the panes.

----------------------

Now select your Multiple Artist view scheme and add 3 panes but this time use Album rather than Album Artist (Auto) since they are all multiple artist so it's just the album name you will want to search for.

---------------------

You may want to select each view scheme in turn and change the list style to Album Thumbnails.  Right Click Library> List Style.

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 01:39:57 pm »

And one more thing that you might want to do:

Go through all the albums listed in the Multiple Artists View Scheme.  If any of them do not look like they should be there (e.g. Elton John's Greatest Hits)  it will be because there is one or two songs on the album by another artist (e.g. Elton John & Kiki Dee).  In this case you will probably want the Album artist to be Elton John rather than Multiple Artists.

To correct this you should override the Album Artist Tag for ALL FILES on the album from <blank> to e.g. 'Elton John'.  

MrVegas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 06:14:01 pm »

JLee:

Thank you for the detailed instructions!

Can I ask one more thing?

How exactly do you override the Album Artist Tag?  I did find some instances of where greatest hits albums did not belong in the Multiple Artists view.

_/_/_/_/_/_/
Audio nerd

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 11:08:51 pm »

JLee:

Thank you for the detailed instructions!

Can I ask one more thing?

How exactly do you override the Album Artist Tag?  I did find some instances of where greatest hits albums did not belong in the Multiple Artists view.

The same way you amend any other tag.  Action Window> File Properties> Tag Info.  If it's not one of the fields in the display click the icon at the top and change 'Fields to show' to Extended or All Fields.

As this is the only 'Extended' field I use I moved Album Artist (Auto) to appear in the General section.  Do this via Tools> Options> Tree And View Settings.  

I would urge you to poke around a little in the menus and the help file as all this stuff is there if you look.  That's not that I'm not happy to help - I am.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 07:41:21 am »

In this case you will probably want the Album artist to be Elton John rather than Multiple Artists. To correct this you should override the Album Artist Tag for ALL FILES on the album from <blank> to e.g. 'Elton John'.  

FYI, I manually set Album Artist for all of my albums because I just don't trust "Album Artist (auto)". If an album is single-artist, I use the Copy Fields function to copy Artist to Album Artist. If it's multiple artists, I set Album Artist to "Multiple Artists".

jleerigby

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2003, 09:49:28 am »

FYI, I manually set Album Artist for all of my albums because I just don't trust "Album Artist (auto)". If an album is single-artist, I use the Copy Fields function to copy Artist to Album Artist. If it's multiple artists, I set Album Artist to "Multiple Artists".

On what basis are you forming your lack of trust?  Album artist (auto) works perfectly for me and always has.  If you are going to alarm people into distrusting nice features that the J River team have provided then maybe you should say qualify that with a reason.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2003, 08:06:06 pm »

On what basis are you forming your lack of trust?  Album artist (auto) works perfectly for me and always has.  If you are going to alarm people into distrusting nice features that the J River team have provided then maybe you should say qualify that with a reason.

Oh! I didn't mean to alarm anybody. I'm just a paranoid control freak :-) I wanted albums with unassigned Album Artists to show up under "<unknown>", not the "auto" setting. Sometimes I would rip a multi-artist album, such as a techno or dance album, where the album artist should be the DJ's name, but I'd forget to assign the DJ to "album artist" and then it would show up under "multiple artists" (because of the "auto" option) and I wouldn't be able to find it. Instead, I use "album artist" for everything and then unassigned albums show up as "<unknown>", making it obvious that I haven't filled in all of the tags yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up