INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC23 crashes regularly - need help here  (Read 1755 times)

CJP

MC23 crashes regularly - need help here
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:55:42 am »

Media center locks up my entire computer on a somewhat regular basis.  I'm listening to a song and all of a sudden I get blip-blip-blip-blip; it's stuck in a loop playing one second of a song over and over.  The only way to get out of the loop is to power down using the power button - nothing else works.  I did this so many times it eventually crashed my hard drive and it wouldn't boot anymore - fortunatrely I was able to get my music and library off of it.  Unfortunately, this morning it just locked up again on the brand new HD.  I'm not a techie by any menas, but I excluded the paths recommended from AVG.  This computer is used for many other things besides music, so I can't just uninstall AVG and go commando out onto the internet, and Toms Hardware says Windows Defender sucks.  There is nothing unusual runing on the machine - it's a Dell Latitude about 4 years old with 8 gig of memory.  I have never had a problem with anything else running on this machine.  Please help - I love J River but if this problem can't be corrected out it goes before I lose another HD to this problem.  I think I enable logging, but where is the log file I'll need to send you?  I've looked at the FAQ and otrher posts but I'm not technical enough to follow all of it.  HELP!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC23 hanging
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:04:44 am »

Uninstall the antivirus, just to test.  You can install again later.  Read the antivirus thread if you're skeptical.

Windows Defender is probably the safest.  Our wiki has a topic on it.

Killing MC or powering the PC down can't harm your disk drive.  It may have been going bad slowly.

I'm sorry you're having trouble, but the problem you describe isn't a problem with MC.

CJP

Re: MC23 crashes regularly - need help here
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:19:30 am »

I don't mean MC directly killed the hard drive.  I mean that repeatedly powering down using the power button because of the hangs rather than shutting down correctly killed it.  I'll uninstall AVG as you suggested and stay off the internet until I see if the problem reoccurs - sometimes it takes an hour and sometimes it's ok for a few days, but eventually it always does it.  Meantime, where is this log I have seen your other posters send to you?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC23 crashes regularly - need help here
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:21:38 am »

I mean that repeatedly powering down using the power button because of the hangs rather than shutting down correctly killed it.
Doubtful.  It was probably on its way out.
I'll uninstall AVG as you suggested and stay off the internet until I see if the problem reoccurs - sometimes it takes an hour and sometimes it's ok for a few days, but eventually it always does it.  Meantime, where is this log I have seen your other posters send to you?
We'll ask for logs if we need them.  The wiki has a topic on Logging.
Pages: [1]   Go Up