INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Channel Switching Issues  (Read 2149 times)

tony ferrier

• Recent member
TV Channel Switching Issues
« on: August 20, 2015, 07:31:44 am »

I am running Windows 10, MC 20 latest build, Blackgold DVBS2 dual Freesat card, NVidia GT520

I have MC set up with Freesat and EPG all working great with one aesthetic issue.
When I switch channels, for a second or two during switching the old channel audio suddenly speeds up, video goes very blocky, new channel video shows with old channel audio before that then switches, this all happens over a couple of seconds but wondered if there are any settings that can make the channel switch more pleasing to the eyes and ears.
Have tried various setting with Audio and Video but cant resolve.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: TV Channel Switching Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:08:30 am »

Did you see this thread? http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99063.0

I don't think there is a universal solution at this time. I suspect it has a lot to do with the drivers for the cards, but maybe it could be improved a bit in MC.

But have you tried using WASAPI audio? I use WASAPI Exclusive Mode and still have the "problem" I describe in that thread. But switching from Direct Sound to WASAPI solved the issue for DocLotus. Worth a try if you don't already use WASAPI.

Faster and smoother channel changes would be nice, but I don't' consider it as really a problem.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tony ferrier

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:24:49 am »

Yes I am using WASAP HDMI setting, have toggled to direct sound and back but same issue.
Also tried different Video settings.

Agreed it is not major as I only change channels when needed, I use the guide as well rather then flick through, It is probably more a satellite and tuner card issue, mine is 5 years old now, a Blackgold BGT3595 but it still does the job for UK freesat.
I can live with it, to be honest switching channels is even slower when I tried Media Portal, but it is quicker in Windows MCE.

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 02:35:32 pm »

For me it was the combination of WASAPI AND Red October Standard that did the trick; the change to WASAPI by itself helped (a lot) but the combination was golden.

I was using Default Audio [Direct Sound] & switching to WASAPI blanks the sound between channels similar to the way WMC does it which completely eliminates all stuttering & echoing which had made MCTV useless to me for all these many years.

Switching back to Red October Standard also cured the long lag times I was experiencing changing channels. I had used Standard before (but with Default Audio [Direct Sound]) but it did not help until also switching to WASAPI; the combination of the two is what did the trick.

As Roderick mentions this is not a perfect solution but for me it at least made MCTV usable whereas before it was a nightmare.  
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

tony ferrier

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 02:38:20 pm »

As an update the slow channel switching is a lot worse on HD channels.
I am starting to think my Blackgold BGT3595 may be the issue as it is quite old and one of the first cards that supported DVBS2, I may upgrade to a later freesat DVBS2 card.

Can anyone confirm channel switching on Freesat is better on their cards and what they are using?
Pages: [1]   Go Up