INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi Room with DLNA possible?  (Read 701 times)

rockito

• Recent member
Multi Room with DLNA possible?
« on: December 28, 2023, 02:01:23 pm »

In two rooms I have a Yamaha Multicast System, in three rooms a cheaper undok system.
I'm able to see them all, control them, but how to do multi room (or nearly)?
I don't understand what to do with 'groups' or 'zones' in JRiver? I just see the controls simultaneously, but can't control the music like this.
Only if I use links I can control them together, but the music is not synchron at all.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: Multi Room with DLNA possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 05:02:45 pm »

Simultaneous playback using DLNA is an inexact science because it is highly dependent on the processing of the renderer, network topology etc,  but Zonelink gives you some control.

Have a look at

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

and make sure you also look at the ZoneLink and Link Timing links in that article as well.

rockito

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 05:13:27 pm »

Ah, thank you!
I just have read: http://www.fascinatingtech.com/fascinatingaudio---diy-multiroom-audio.html
Is this still correct?
Or is ZoneSync newer?

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 10:58:49 pm »

In my experience, beyond actually controlling the zones the biggest question for whether something simple like DLNA for multiroom works for you, is how much bleed through you have. By that I mean, from one zone can you hear another? If so, this gets a little bit more complex.
The reason is, synchronization. If there's alot of bleed through between your zones, time differences between the various endpoints (speakers for example) you have start to get weird.
 Things have really improved beyond DLNA though. AirPlay 2 is well liked by some people I know, it's not like mind blowingly accurate but it's pretty good, and architecturally there's some cool stuff going on under the hood that's like a consumery evolution of some of the clever AoIP time synchronization stuff out there.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 05:38:51 am »

I have two Bose Sound Touch speakers that are DNLA renderers. When I have tried to use Zone Link for multiroom play back there have synchronisation issues.
What I do now is use DNLA to play music on one speaker and then use the Bose app on my phone to add the other speaker in. This works well
Pages: [1]   Go Up