Devices > Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, Speakers, and Headphones

JRiver as crossover with 2 different DACs

(1/8) > >>

marek:
I am only entering JRiver’s world and this is my first post so I’ll start by saying “Hello” to this great community.

I have been searching for an answer on Diyaudio forum but so far no one has come up with a solution. It may be that what I am trying to achieve is just my wishful thinking so hopefully you guys will be able to put me back on track.

Basically, I would like JRiver to act as a crossover which sends the digital signal to two different (!) DACs. I do not want to use any extra crossover like nanoDIGI or DCX2496. It is only 2-way setup, so 4 channels, 2 for subs, 2 for mains, with cut off point at 200Hz, I intend to use DSP engine to add EQ to the subs, and be able to stream the signal up to 192Khz to 2 totally different DACs. I should be able to measure the delay/phase of each channel and adjust the settings to have perfect alignment.

Is it possible? Or I will always have timing issues with 2 different DAC and there is no way to correct it?

Thanks for help guys!

Marek

Hilton:
Hi I wouldn't recommend that solution anyway. You will get slight timing variation in the different DAC clocks causing phase issues and god knows what else. (as you've probably already been told)
You may as well go back to a well constructed analog crossover or get a DAC that can do what you want from a single clock source.

There's plenty of USB DACs and sound cards with 4+ channels that could be adapted for this. You'd just need to do some re-routing with the MC DSP.

jjazdk:
As for what I know, the only way to do what you want is to use ASIO4ALL.

This can present the two DACS as a single device to JRiver, which is paramount for what you want to achieve.

marek:

--- Quote from: Hilton on August 14, 2015, 02:46:38 am ---Hi I wouldn't recommend that solution anyway. You will get slight timing variation in the different DAC clocks causing phase issues and god knows what else.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, it is exactly the timing issues that I am worried about.

marek:

--- Quote from: jjazdk on August 14, 2015, 03:32:56 am ---As for what I know, the only way to do what you want is to use ASIO4ALL.

This can present the two DACS as a single device to JRiver, which is paramount for what you want to achieve.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. So if I understand ASIO4ALL will make sure that regardless of amount of DSP for each section (subs or mains) the output from the PC will reach DACs at the same time. But will it force the DACs to work in slave mode? I am worried that I can still have the buffer in each DAC have different delay and this could possibly get worse with hi-res files. No idea how it would work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version