Devices > Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, Speakers, and Headphones

JRiver as crossover with 2 different DACs

<< < (8/8)

jan.didden:
Hi,hoping you don't mind to resurrect this thread.
I'm also thinking about using two different DACs in a multiway setup.
I read this thread (and another related one) and there seems to be a possible issue with the two DAC having different timings and drifting apart.
But is that the case? Presumably, both DACs are connected to the same PC on two different USB ports, but they should receive the same timing and would sync to the same USB embedded clock.
So there should be no issue with different timings.

Am I correct?

Jan

eve:

--- Quote from: jan.didden on November 05, 2023, 07:59:53 am ---Hi,hoping you don't mind to resurrect this thread.
I'm also thinking about using two different DACs in a multiway setup.
I read this thread (and another related one) and there seems to be a possible issue with the two DAC having different timings and drifting apart.
But is that the case? Presumably, both DACs are connected to the same PC on two different USB ports, but they should receive the same timing and would sync to the same USB embedded clock.
So there should be no issue with different timings.

Am I correct?

Jan

--- End quote ---

That's unfortunately wrong.
Assuming we're talking about standard USB D/A. Each USB DAC is getting an asynchronous stream of audio data, and using it's own internal clock.

jan.didden:
OK. Bummer.

But I went back over the discussion and I think I can use my RME ADI-2 Pro to provide 4 analog output channels (1 to 4) while outputting channels 5 and 6 over S/PDIF to another 2 channel DAC (I only need 6 channels). That should work and remain synched, right?
I'll figure that out and report back.
Thanks guys,

Jan

eve:

--- Quote from: jan.didden on November 15, 2023, 11:38:53 am ---OK. Bummer.

But I went back over the discussion and I think I can use my RME ADI-2 Pro to provide 4 analog output channels (1 to 4) while outputting channels 5 and 6 over S/PDIF to another 2 channel DAC (I only need 6 channels). That should work and remain synched, right?
I'll figure that out and report back.
Thanks guys,

Jan

--- End quote ---

SPDIF out on it's own will use the PLL clock recovery of the connected DAC. It's not the exact same 'clock'. The differences may be imperceptible or at least, not serious enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version