INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FCC and Cybersecurity  (Read 1814 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
FCC and Cybersecurity
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:55:54 pm »

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: FCC and Cybersecurity
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:49:19 pm »

I wonder if they were using any or low security at the time.

Consumers deserve to have some protection, I'm just not sure you can ever protect against the dedicated hacker.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
Re: FCC and Cybersecurity
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:10:12 am »

Actually I believe most companies could easily improve their security to protect consumers. Encrypting consumer data with individual salted hashes would be a start. Include a hardware decryptor and monitor the throughput at that point. That would prevent anyone from stealing a database and publishing the content worldwide. They might be able to steal a few, but certainly not millions of peoples private information. You may not be able to prevent the dedicated hacker, but you certainly can mitigate the damage.

In the Canada (and I would think the US) there is legislation in which consumers have a right to have their private data protected. Frankly I'm surprised that none of these companies have had fines levied against them in addition to the cost of the breach. I would bet that they will happen soon and if not laws will be passed that add some teeth to the provisions that are already in place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up