INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help on View Settings - One View for Two (or more) Folders  (Read 2630 times)

8rayneee

• Recent member
Help on View Settings - One View for Two (or more) Folders
« on: August 19, 2015, 05:01:11 am »

Hi guys,

Could someone help in explaining how can one create a View that aggregates files from subfolders located under two different sister directories?

Example:

I would like to have as a result the albums located in all subfolders from "\\Music\Lossless" and "\\Music\HD"

Something like (filenamepath starts with="\\Music\Lossless" OR filenamepath starts with ="\\Music\HD").

Is this possible? Can we use the "OR" operator?
Can we use file name and the "starts with" condition?

When we add Criteria in view, you always add "AND" clauses i guess. No "OR" availabe for a complex set...

Can someone help?

Much appreciated, Thanks in advance for your time

8rayneee

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help on View Settings - One View for Two (or more) Folders
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:11:27 am »

Sure, no problem.  Go Customize View on the view you are interested in.  Then:

1.  Settings > Included Files > Set rules for file display
2.  Choose filename (path) as a rule.  For condition choose "starts with".  You can also use "contains" if that works better for you.  Then type the path of the first folder.
3.  Click Import/Export at the lower left corner.  Now you'll see a text representation of your rules.  You can type in this area to alter the results.
4.  To do an OR condition, you want a rule that looks like this:

Code: [Select]
( Rule1 or Rule2 )
Here's a concrete example from a view I just built to test this out:

([Filename (path)]=[//Users//blgentry//Music//FLAC//ACDC" or [Filename (path)]=[//Users//blgentry//Music//FLAC//Metallica")
Type, or cut and paste until you get your two (or more) directories set up with rules that look similar to above.  Note how the paths start with a [ and end with " .  That combination tells JRiver to use "path starts with".

5.  Click OK several times to close the various windows and look at your results.  Refine them if necessary.

That should do what you were asking for.  Good luck!

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:44:57 am »

When adding rules you can also click to the left of a rule and a little popup will tell you to type "(" to do an or or "[" to do an and. Once done, the "(" will appear next to the first rule. Totally obscure, put it works. You can use Import/Export to check the rules.

8rayneee

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 12:39:09 pm »

Sure, no problem.  Go Customize View on the view you are interested in.  Then:

1.  Settings > Included Files > Set rules for file display
2.  Choose filename (path) as a rule.  For condition choose "starts with".  You can also use "contains" if that works better for you.  Then type the path of the first folder.
3.  Click Import/Export at the lower left corner.  Now you'll see a text representation of your rules.  You can type in this area to alter the results.
4.  To do an OR condition, you want a rule that looks like this:

( Rule1 or Rule2 )
Here's a concrete example from a view I just built to test this out:

([Filename (path)]=[//Users//blgentry//Music//FLAC//ACDC" or [Filename (path)]=[//Users//blgentry//Music//FLAC//Metallica")
Type, or cut and paste until you get your two (or more) directories set up with rules that look similar to above.  Note how the paths start with a [ and end with " .  That combination tells JRiver to use "path starts with".

5.  Click OK several times to close the various windows and look at your results.  Refine them if necessary.

That should do what you were asking for.  Good luck!

Brian.

Brian,
This is Gold! It works Perfectly.
I did not understand the import button and the subsequent editing part of it. Now it all makes sense.
It is important for me this approach because i can use the folder structure in a more efficient way for Backup puposes, without compromising the usability, being all transparent on the JRiver View.
I am so happy!
Thanks Thanks Thanks.

Also thanks for dtc and his tip,

Cheers guys,

8rayneee

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »

There really should be an "or" option readily available and visible. Clicking on white space or using import/export is not intuitive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up