INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: overflow when using parametric EQ (only reducing level)  (Read 1774 times)

Vivialet

overflow when using parametric EQ (only reducing level)
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:36:45 am »

maybe someone can answer this question: I'm using the parametric EQ to reduce the level for some bass frequencies to get rid of room resonances. I'm only reducing the level, but as a result I get an overflow. I have to reduce the overall level by 3 db to avoid that. Why do I get an overflow if I only reduce the level ? Is reducing the level the best solution ? If possible I would like to avoid a general level decrease.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: overflow when using parametric EQ (only reducing level)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:45:32 am »

There was just a pretty long thread on a very similar issue.  Check out this post explaining the issue: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99406.msg688498#msg688498

Basically cutting doesn't just attenuate, it also alters phase relationships which can lead to unintended boost in the surrounding frequencies. Solutions are to reduce volume (as you saw), or use internal volume for volume control as it will create additional headroom that can be used to prevent clipping.

Additionally, you should make sure clip protection is on, as it will prevent any actual clipping from happening (although you should structure your EQ chain so that it doesn't trigger).

Cutting is the right answer to deal with resonances, you just need to leave a little more headroom (if you don't want clip protection kicking in once in a while).

Vivialet

Re: overflow when using parametric EQ (only reducing level)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:46:58 am »

Hi nwillems,
thanks for the quick answer. But if I use internal volume I also have to lower the volume by some db to avoid clipping. What would (at least theoretically) be the best option SQ wise ? Using internal volume with -3db or adding a volume setting to the parametric EQ and deactivate volume ?
I'm selecting the volume with my amp, not with JRiver.

best regards,
Bernd
Pages: [1]   Go Up