INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 WIN10 and "lost" libraries  (Read 1948 times)

Walt

MC20 WIN10 and "lost" libraries
« on: August 28, 2015, 07:52:08 am »

Background: My MC20 under WIN7 had my lib.  I created a 2nd lib for my friend and ripped many CDs for her.  Libs worked fine.
Problem: After upgrading to Win10 and reinstalling MC20 I now only see one lib.  Fortunately it seems to have all music in it.
Question:  Anyone else experience this?  Any explanation why this could happen?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC20 WIN10 and "lost" libraries
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 11:02:35 am »

Background: My MC20 under WIN7 had my lib.  I created a 2nd lib for my friend and ripped many CDs for her.  Libs worked fine.
Problem: After upgrading to Win10 and reinstalling MC20 I now only see one lib.  Fortunately it seems to have all music in it.
Question:  Anyone else experience this?  Any explanation why this could happen?

Only the default library (stored in %APPDATA%) will be automatically detected during upgrades. For other libraries, you will need to make a library backup in the older version and then restore the library into the new version of MC. If you have already uninstalled the old version, there may be automatic library backups leftover that you can search for in your Documents folder.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC20 WIN10 and "lost" libraries
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:42:05 pm »

Many more Settings in MC21 were automatically migrated over from MC20 (and probably earlier versions), but not the Library Manager loaded Libraries.  However, this setting (which Libraries are loaded into MC's Library Manager) is included in the settings portion of a Library Backup.

If you just backup a Library in MC20, any Library, in MC20, and then restore the Settings in MC21, it will migrate those settings over. The Library format itself has not changed, so they'll load fine.  You don't have to restore each individual one, just access them right where they were before.

If they ever do change the Library format, which could happen but has not thus far, then MC21 will automatically upgrade them (and then they'll no longer be backwards compatible with MC20).  But, for now, that isn't even an issue, and MC20 will still happily open the older Library (and MC19 as well, it has been a while since they changed the format).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up