INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Treremote  (Read 1690 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Treremote
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:04:14 pm »

I have a PC in my Office room at home connected through WLAN with my HTPC in the living room.
I got Treremote working but may be I have somthing misunderstood.

I could not change my metadata on the HTPC by using Treremote. Reading through the Wiki and Forum my understanding of Treremote now is that it only to be used as a remote for playing media and not to make remote changes on metadata.

Is that correct?

If yes, then the only option to do remote administration of MC is via MS Remote Desktop or something similar? This would also require MS Win 10 Pro?

If not, what I am doing wrong to sync the metadata?

Thanks!
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Treremote
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »

You can sync most kinds of metadata from a client instance of MC (i.e. Tremote).  The secret is to make sure that 1) you have authentication enabled on the server PC and 2) you have auto-sync changes enabled on the client PC (under media network-->client options).  That will sync almost all kinds of metadate (cover art being the big exception).

If you need remote access to the server PC, you don't need MS Win 10 Pro.  There are plenty of free working remote desktop applications like Teamviewer (which is available at no cost for personal use) or TigerVNC (which is entirely free).  Both will allow you to remote control the server desktop to make any changes that you can't make on the client.

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:58:13 pm »

Thanks.
I had authentication enabled, same for auto-sync. For some reason it works now, if I press sync changes with library server.
Great  :)
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 01:03:48 pm »

It should auto-sync without pressing the button, but it may take a few minutes (i.e. it's not "instant" it only syncs every few minutes).

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:17:28 pm »

Yes just as mwillems said .. authentication and sync

Just to add my 2cents though if you are doing a lot of tagging in one sitting (or you are spending a bunch of time on a particular album ... looking up soloists etc changing date tags for box sets while listening to it)

I really recommend turning OFF the auto-sync option ... but only temporarily. Keep it on as a default though. Every so often manually "sync changes with Library server" (under File=>Library from the top menu). When you are finished, remember to check the option back to "on". The danger of this is that if you forget to manually sync with the auto sync off and you close the client pc down all your work will be gone. It does not sync every time you make a change. You are not actually writing to the sever library directly (actually I'd be curious as to what actually triggers the autosync if anybody can tell me). But you control when and what gets synced this way.

I know that some people think this option to manually sync is only for very specific reasons, but I have lost too much of my changes due to the server autosyncing the servers info (the old stuff) over the new or I (or my network) shut down the client before the "auto-sync" actually happened.

When just tagging some genres of pop/rock albums or play stats just the autosync is fine and you don't forget to sync that way of course :) Anyways  I'm a bit absolutely OCD with my tagging and you might not need to force a manual sync ...  just thought I'd share what I do

as mwillems said this will work for just about any metadata modification. For cover art and path changes, file renaming redoing views and things, I like TeamViewer, much better than windows pro remote desktop and easy to set up too, but I always tag directly from the client PC.

Manfred

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:45:38 pm »

I really appreciate your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up